I am a PhD student in Electrical Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, where I work in Michel Maharbiz's group. I graduated from The Ohio State University in 2012 with a B.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
I build nanoelectrode arrays to study bacterial chemotaxis and to make novel biosensors. In addition to my research work, I am passionate about education and am heavily involved in teaching. Recently, I co-developed UC Berkeley's Electronic Interfaces MOOC and lecture a short course on physics to incoming engineering students.
- M.A. TerAvest, T.J. Zajdel, and C.M. Ajo-Franlkin, ``The Mtr pathway of Shewanella oneidensis MR-1 couples substrate utilization to current production in Escherichia coli,'' ChemElectroChem, vol. 1, no. 11, pp. 1874-1879, August 2014.
- M.A. Demir, J.T. Johnson, and T.J. Zajdel, ``A Study of the Fourth-Order Small Perturbation Method for Scattering from Two-Layer Rough Surfaces,'' IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 3374-3382, February 2012.
Technical Conference Proceedings
- A.Y. Zhou, T.J. Zajdel, M.A. TerAvest, and M.M. Maharbiz, ``A Miniaturized Monitoring System for Electrochemical Biosensing using Shewanella Oneidensis in Environmental Applications,'' Proceedings of 2015 Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference, Milan, Italy. August 2015.
T.J. Zajdel, M.A. TerAvest, B. Rad, C.M. Ajo-Franklin, and M.M. Maharbiz, ``Probing the Proton-Motive Force of E. coli,'' Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE Sensors Conference, Valencia, Spain. November 2014.
Education Conference Proceedings
- T.J. Zajdel and M.M. Maharbiz, ``Introducing Electronics at Scale with a Massive Online Circuits Lab,'' Proceedings of 123rd ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, New Orleans, LA, United States. June 2016. (Accepted)
- SU 2015: EE40LX | Electronic Interfaces - Self-Paced, BerkeleyX, Designer and co-instructor. Course page
- SU 2015: PREP Physics | Introduction to Mechanics, UC Berkeley, Lecturer. Course page
- SP 2015: EE40LX | Electronic Interfaces, BerkeleyX, Designer and co-instructor. Course page
- FA 2014: EE40 | Introduction to Microelectronic Circuits, UC Berkeley, Lab designer and head lab graduate student instructor. Effectiveness Rating: 4.7/5
- SU 2014: PREP Physics | Pre-Engineering Introduction to Mechanics, UC Berkeley, Lecturer. Course page
- SU 2013: PREP Physics | Pre-Engineering Introduction to Mechanics, UC Berkeley, Lecturer. Course page
- SP 2012: ENG193 | Engineering Fundamentals: Design, Ohio State, In-Class Undergraduate TA.
- WI 2012: ENG192 | Engineering Fundamentals: Programming, Ohio State, In-Class Undergraduate TA.
- FA 2011: ECE301 | Design and Analysis in Circuits, Ohio State, Grader. Resource Page
- WI 2011: ENG192 | Engineering Fundamentals: Programming, Ohio State, In-Class Undergraduate TA.
- FA 2010: ENG191 | Engineering Fundamentals: CAD, Ohio State, Lab Substitute.
- SP 2010: ENG193 | Engineering Fundamentals: Design, Ohio State, In-Class Undergraduate TA.
- WI 2010: ENG192 | Engineering Fundamentals: Programming, Ohio State, In-Class Undergraduate TA.
- FA 2009: ENG191 | Engineering Fundamentals: CAD, Ohio State, Lab Undergraduate TA.
Awards and Fellowships
- 2015: Berkeley EECS Chair's Special Award
- 2014: NSF Academic Change Agent Grant, Rose Hulman Institute of Technology Making Academic Change Happen Workshop
- 2012: National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow
- 2012: Berkeley Chancellor's Fellow
- 2012: 1st Place Engineering Poster, Denman Undergraduate Research Forum
- 2010: Most Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Assistant, Ohio State first-year engineering program
- 2009: 4th place overall, Ohio State Engineering Honors Robotics Competition, [vid]
- 2015-06-17: To teach the world robotics, Berkeley Engineering
- 2014-10-16: Berkeley MOOC offers hardware-based engineering training, Texas Instruments E2E Community Blog
- 2012-06-07: Lending a Helping Hand: Tom Zajdel, Ohio State University ECE News
- 2012-05-16: ECE Students Excel at Denman Undergraduate Research Forum, Ohio State University ECE News