:: about me ::
Pei-yu (Peggy) Chi designs intelligent systems that enhance and improve our daily experiences. She is a PhD candidate in Computer Science at UC Berkeley, supported by the Google PhD Fellowship in Human Computer Interaction (2014-2016) and the Berkeley Fellowship for Graduate Study (2011-2013). At UC Berkeley, Peggy works with Professor Bjoern Hartmann on interactive tutorials. Her projects at Adobe Creative Technologies Lab, Microsoft Research, and Google Research were published at top conferences and won a Best Paper Award.
Peggy earned her M.S. in Media Arts and Sciences in 2010 from the MIT Media Lab, where she was awarded as a lab fellow and worked with Henry Lieberman at the Software Agents Group. She also holds a M.S. in Computer Science and a B.B.A. in Information Management from National Taiwan University, where she worked with Hao-hua Chu at the UbiComp Lab.
Curriculum Vitae: [pdf] (May 2016)
Ph.D. in Computer Science, EECS
UC Berkeley, CA, US
- Supported by the Google PhD Fellowship (2014-2016)
- Received the Berkeley Fellowship for Graduate Study (2011-2013)
- Advisor: Professor Bjoern Hartmann
|2008/09 - 2010/08||
S.M. in Media Arts and Sciences, MIT Media Lab
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MA, US
- Advisor: Research Scientist Henry Lieberman
- RA at the Software Agents Group
- Received the ITRI Fellowship
|2006/09 - 2008/06||
M.S. in Computer Science, Graduate Institute of Networking and Multimedia
National Taiwan University, Taiwan
- Advisor: Professor Hao-hua Chu
- RA at the Ubicomp Lab
- Received the Phi Tau Phi Award and Garmin Scholarship
|2002/09 - 2006/06||
B.B.A. in Information Management
National Taiwan University, Taiwan
- Received the Presidential Award, NTU
|2016||ACM CHI2016 Best Paper Award|
|2014-2016||The Google PhD Fellowship in Human-Computer Interaction, USA|
|2011-2013||The Berkeley Fellowship for Graduate Study, UC Berkeley|
|2012||Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship Finalist, USA|
|2009-2010||ITRI Fellowship, MIT Media Lab [link][pdf]|
|2009, 2010||Conference Grant, Ministry of Education, Taiwan|
|2008||Phi Tau Phi Award, Member of the Phi Tau Phi Scholastic Honor Society, Taiwan|
|2008||Conference Grant, Foundation for the Advancement of Outstanding Scholarship, Taiwan|
|2008||Third prize of Paper Award, The Cooperative Workshop of CyberLink and CML on Communications and Multimedia, Taiwan|
|2007||Garmin Scholarship, Taiwan|
|2007, 2008||1st place, Graduate Institute of Networking and Multimedia, National Taiwan University, Taiwan|
|2007||People's Choice Award, ACM CHI2007 Work-in-Progress Paper, San Jose, CA|
|2007||2nd place, ImagineCup 2007 Software Design Competition, Microsoft Taiwan|
|2006||Excellent Work Award, The 1st Acer Long-term Smile Contest, Taiwan|
Presidential Award, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
GPA in the top 5% of the students in Dept. of Information Management, 2004 Fall semester
- My Chinese name: 紀佩妤, read as. Considering it's not easy to read it even in Mandarin, my parents gave me a nickname "Peggy" when I was born, which becomes a more well-known name to find me.
- I love traveling a lot [see my photograph collection].
- Cooking + enjoying tasty food plays an important part of my everyday life.
- I play piano from age 3 and violin from 9, with quite much performance experience. I also joined an orchestra during 5-6th grades and senior high. After college, occasionally I play in my leisure time.
- I was filmed as one of the main characters in a TV advertisement, and was a little runway model at age 7-8.
- I dance - ballet when I was a little girl, and pop dance (hip-hop, house, jazz, etc.) when I was an undergrad.
- Very luckily, I haven't "suffered" from any entrance exams in Taiwan (instead, I entered high school through Math&Science test and applied to university and grad school afterwards). I believe it’s my passion on academic interests that keeps me moving forward.