:: about me ::
Pei-yu (Peggy) Chi designs intelligent systems that enhance and improve our daily experiences. She is currently a third-year PhD student in CS at UC Berkeley, working with Prof. Bjoern Hartmann and senior research scientists Mira Dontcheva and Wilmot Li at Adobe Creative Technologies Lab. She received the Berkeley Fellowship for Graduate Study from 2011-2013. Her research interests include Human-Computer Interaction, Interactive Tutorials, Intelligent Systems, and Storytelling.
Peggy earned her M.S. in Media Arts and Sciences in 2010 from the MIT Media Lab, where she was awarded as a lab fellow and worked with Henry Lieberman at the Software Agents Group. She also holds a M.S. in Computer Science in 2008 and a B.B.A. in Information Management in 2006 from National Taiwan University, where she worked with Hao-hua Chu at the UbiComp Lab. She received the People’s Choice Award at ACM Special Interest Group on Computer-Human Interaction (CHI) 2007 for her work on a nutrition-aware kitchen, augmented by a rule-based system using a hybrid sensing approach to provide real-time feedback.
Her resume: [pdf] (Nov 2013)
Ph.D. in Computer Science from the EECS department
UC Berkeley, CA, US
- Advisor: Assistant Professor Bjoern Hartmann
- received the Berkeley Fellowship for Graduate Study (2011-2013)
|2008/09 - 2010/08||
S.M. in Media Arts and Sciences from MIT Media Lab
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MA, US
- Advisor: Research Scientist Henry Lieberman
- RA in the Software Agents Group
- received the ITRI Fellowship, MIT Media Lab
|2006/09 - 2008/06||
M.S. in Computer Science from Graduate Institute of Networking and Multimedia
National Taiwan University, Taiwan
- Advisor: Professor Hao-hua Chu
- RA in the Ubicomp Lab
- received the Phi Tau Phi Award and Garmin Scholarship
|2002/09 - 2006/06||
B.B.A. in Information Management
National Taiwan University, Taiwan
- received the Presidential Award, NTU
|2004/07 - 2004/08||
“U.S. Language and Culture” Program
Stanford University, US
|1999/07 - 1999/08||
“English as a Foreign Language” Program
New College Nottingham, UK
|2011-2013||The Berkeley Fellowship for Graduate Study, UC Berkeley.|
|2012||Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship Finalist, USA.|
|2009||ITRI Fellowship 2009-2010, MIT Media Lab [link][pdf]|
|2009, 2010||Conference Grant, Ministry of Education, Taiwan|
|2008||Phi Tau Phi Award, Member of the Phi Tau Phi Scholastic Honor Society, Taiwan|
|2008||Conference Grant, Foundation for the Advancement of Outstanding Scholarship, Taiwan|
|2008||Third prize of Paper Award, The Cooperative Workshop of CyberLink and CML on Communications and Multimedia, Taiwan|
|2007||Garmin Scholarship, Taiwan|
|2007, 2008||1st place, Graduate Institute of Networking and Multimedia, National Taiwan University, Taiwan|
|2007||People's Choice Award, ACM CHI2007 Work-in-Progress Paper, San Jose, CA|
|2007||2nd place, ImagineCup 2007 Software Design Competition, Microsoft Taiwan|
|2006||Excellent Work Award, work title: "Expand your vision: glasses-based multimedia information communication platform", The 1st Acer Long-term Smile Contest, Taiwan|
Presidential Award, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
GPA in the top 5% of the students in Dept. of Information Management, 2004 Fall semester
- My Chinese name: 紀佩妤, read as. Considering it's not easy to read it even in Mandarin, my parents gave me a nickname "Peggy" when I was born, which becomes a more well-known name to find me.
- I love traveling a lot [see my photograph collection].
- Cooking + enjoying tasty food plays an important part of my everyday life.
- I play piano from age 3 and violin from 9, with quite much performance experience. I also joined an orchestra during 5-6th grades and senior high. After college, occasionally I play in my leisure time.
- I was filmed as one of the main characters in a TV advertisement, and was a little runway model at age 7-8.
- I dance - ballet when I was a little girl, and pop dance (hip-hop, house, jazz, etc.) when I was an undergrad.
- Very luckily, I haven't "suffered" from any entrance exams in Taiwan (instead, I entered high school through Math&Science test and applied to university and grad school afterwards). I believe it’s my passion on academic interests that keeps me moving forward.