- I'm a graduate student in the UC, Berkeley EECS Department ...
- ... Studying circuit design under Professor Elad Alon ...
- ... in the Energy-Efficient Integrated Systems Group.
- I work in the Berkeley Wireless Research Center, ...
- ... and with The Energy-Efficient Electronic Systems Center.
- I've worked at Intel (Components Research) and Texas Instruments (DLP) recently.
- My bachelor's and master's degree come from MIT.
Broadly, I'm interested in emerging circuit technologies, energy-efficient circuit design in digital and mixed-signal systems and, particularly, the integration of the two.
In graduate school, this has manifested itself in a research project to try to build computers out of tiny mechanical switches (MEMS, for micro-electro-mechanical sytems) in order to minimize the amount of power that is wasted to a phenomenon called leakage current. Some of the papers below, especially the Journal of Solid State Circuits article, go into some very nice detail about how and why we do this, but a more introductory level article was published by IEEE Spectrum.
- Tsu-Jae King Liu, Louis Hutin, I-Ru Chen, Rhesa Nathanael, Yenhao Chen, Matthew Spencer, Elad Alon, Recent Progress and Challenges for Relay Logic Switch Technology. VLSI Technology (VLSIT), 2012 Symposium on , June (12-14) 2012. (pdf)
- Jaeseok Jeon, Louis Hutin, Ruzica Jevtic, Nathaniel Liu, Yenhao Chen, Rhesa Nathanael, Wookhyun Kwon, Matthew Spencer, Elad Alon, Borivoje Nikolic, Tsu-Jae King Liu, Multiple-Input Relay Design for More Compact Implementation of Digital Logic Circuits. IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol 33, Iss. 2, Feb. 2012. (pdf)
- Matthew Spencer, Fred Chen, Cheng C. Wang, Rhesa Nathanael, Hossein Fariborzi, Abhinav Gupta, Hei Kam, Vincent Pott, Jaeseok Jeon, Tsu-Jae King Liu, Dejan Markovic, Elad Alon, Vladimir Stojanovic, Demonstration of Integrated Micro-Electro-Mechanical Relay Circuits for VLSI Applications. IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits, Vol. 46, Iss. 1, Jan. 2011. (pdf)
- Hossein Fariborzi, Matthew Spencer, Vaibhav Karkare, Jaeseok Jeon, Rhesa Nathanael, Chengcheng Wang, Fred Chen, Hei Kam, Vincent Pott, Tsu-Jae King liu, Elad Alon, Vladimir Stojanovic, Dejan Markovic, Analysis and Demonstration of MEM-Relay Power Gating. Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, 2010. (pdf)
- Fred Chen, Matthew Spencer, Rhesa Nathanael, Chengcheng Wang, Hossein fariborzi, Abhinav Gupta, Hei Kam, vincent Pott, Jaesok Jeon, Tsu-Jae King Liu, Dejan Markovic, Vladimir Stojanovic, Elad Alon, Demonstration of Integrated Micro-Electro-Mchanical Switch Circuits for VLSI Applications. International Solid State Circuits Conference, 2010. (pdf)
- Fabien Sorin, Ofer Shapira, Ayman F. Abouraddy, Matthew Spencer, Nicholas D. Orf, John D. Joannopoulos and Yoel Fink, Exploiting Collective Effects of Multiple Optoelectronic Devices Integrated in a Single Fiber. Nano Lett., 2009, 9 (7), pp 2630-2635. (pdf)
- With Sam Burden I've co-directed EE Outreach @ Berkley for many years. By all means, contact me if you want a elementary or high-school level presentation of electrical engineering principles.
- I've been involved with the Electrical Engineering Graduate Student Association as treasurer, president and, most recently, industrial liaison. If you're an industrial representative, I'd love to help you get involved with the department and the EEGSA.