Kristen A. Woyach
264 Cory Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720
kwoyach at eecs
dot berkeley dot edu
I am broadly interested in wireless communications and spectrum sharing. Specifically, I am interested in the regulatory issues associated with cognitive radio. This includes understanding the concerns of policy and law-makers dealing with spectrum issues, and then investigating the corresponding technical questions.
At the moment, my work concerns enforcement -- once sharing rules for spectrum are defined, how can we be sure that devices will actually follow them? To this end, I am working on understanding the performance limits of identity codes, which allow a radio to be identified without necessarily being able to decipher what it is saying. I am also working on a game-theoretic model for punishment to correctly align incentives such that once you can identify a radio, you can encourage it to follow the sharing rules.
Magazine and Journal
- Kristen Woyach, Crime and Punishment for Cognitive Radios, Dec 2008, UC Berkeley.
- Pulkit Grover, Kristen Woyach, and Anant Sahai, Towards a communication-theoretic understanding of system-level power consumption IEEE Journal of Selected Areas in Communication (JSAC) Special Issue on Energy-Efficient Wireless Communications, Vol 29, No, Sept 2011, pp 1744-1755.
- Anant Sahai, Kristen Woyach, George Atia, and Venkatesh Saligrama, A technical framework for light-handed regulation of cognitive radios, IEEE Communications Magazine, March 2009, pp 96-102.
A bug was introduced during the production process. Eqn 1 should be:
- Anant Sahai, Mubaraq Mishra, Rahul Tandra, and Kristen Woyach, Cognitive Radios for Spectrum Sharing, IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, January 2009, pp 140-146.
- Kristen Woyach, and Anant Sahai, Should primaries be considered victims or police? DySpan 2012.
- Kristen Woyach, Kate Harrison, Gireeja Ranade, and Anant Sahai, Comments on unknown channels ITW 2012.
- Kristen Woyach, Pulkit Grover, and Anant Sahai, Near vs. Far Field: Interference Aggregation in TV Whitespaces Globecom 2011.
- Kristen Woyach and Anant Sahai, Why the caged cognitive radio sings DySpAN 2011. (code)
- Pulkit Grover, Kristen Woyach, Hari Palaiyanur, and Anant Sahai, An interference-aware perspective on decoding power ISTC 2010.
- Kristen Woyach, Padmini Pyapali, and Anant Sahai, Can we incentivize sensing in a light-handed way? DySpAN 2010.
- Hari Palaiyanur, Kristen Woyach, Rahul Tandra, and Anant Sahai, Spectrum zoning as robust optimization DySpAN 2010.
- Anant Sahai, Kristen Woyach, Kate Harrison, Hari Palaiyanur, and Rahul Tandra, Towards a "Theory of Spectrum Zoning" Allerton 2009.
- Kristen Woyach, Anant Sahai, George Atia, and Venkatesh Saligrama, Crime and Punishment for Cognitive Radios Allerton 2008.
- Kristen Woyach, Daniele Puccinelli, and Martin Haenggi, Sensoreless Sensing in Wireless Networks: Implementation and Measurements, 2006 Second International Workshop on Wireless Network Measurement (WiNMee '06).
- In Fall 2009, I was the GSI for EE126: Probability and Random Processes
- From 2009-2011 I was one of the student organizers for the UC Berkeley Net/Comm/DSP Seminar
- For the 2008-2009 school year, I was co-president of WICSE, the Women in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering group here at Berkeley.
- I am currently dabbling in amateur photography. My favorite photos can be seen here.