LEON O. CHUA
Ph. D., Professor
Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences,
University of California at Berkeley
University of California, Berkeley,
564 Cory Hall, MC#1770
Berkeley, CA 94720
Ph.D., University of Illinois, Urban-Champaign, 1964
MSEE., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1961
BSEE, Mapua Institute of Technology, 1959
1971-Present, Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, University of California at Berkeley
1967-1970, Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering, Purdue University
1964-1967, Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering, Purdue University
Research Students and Scholars:
- Current: 1
- Graduated: (25) Ph.D.
- 30 (MS);
- Post-doc visitors: 32
- Fellow of IEEE, 1974
- 8 honorary doctorates
- 7 U.S. patents
- recipient of numerous major international awards, including the IEEE Third Millennium Medal in 2000 and the IEEE Neural Networks Pioneer Award, 2000.
Service to national committees:
- Editor of the International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos
- Series editor of the World Scientific Series on Nonlinear Science (32 volumes published to date)
- Chairman of the IEEE CAS Fellow committee (1995-2000).
Reviewed journal papers published: 500, Books: 8
Five Relevant Publications:
L.O.Chua, CNN: A Paradigm for Complexity, World Scientific publisher, 1998
L.O.Chua and T.Roska, “The CNN paradigm,” IEEE Trans. On Circuits and Systems, 40(3), 147156, 1993.
T.Roska and L.Chua, “The CNN universal machine: an analogic array computer,” IEEE Trans. On Circuits and Systems II, 40(3), 163-173, 1993
L.O.Chua and L. Yang, “Cellular neural networks,” IEEE Trans. On Circuits and Systems, 35 (10), 1257-1290, 1988
L.O.Chua, “Passivity and complexity,” IEEE Trans. On Circuits and Systems, 27(1), 153-169, 1999
Five Other Publications:
L.Shilnikov, A, Shilnikov, D. Turaev, and L. Chua, “Methods of qualitative theory in nonlinear dynamics,” Parts I and II, World Scientific Publisher, 1998 and 2000, res.
R. Dogaru and L.Chua, “Mutations of the ‘game of life,’” International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 10(8), 1933-50, 2000
V. I. Sbitnev and L. O. Chua, “Local activity criteria for discrete map CNN,” Int. J. of Bifurcation and Chaos, 12(6), 1227-1272, 2002.
L. O. Chua, S. Yoon and O. Dogaru, “A nonlinear dynamics perspective of Wolfram’s new kind of science,” Int. J. of Bifurcation and Chaos, 12(12) 2655-2766, 2002.
L. O. Chua and T. Roska, Cellular neural networks and visual computing, Cambridge University Press, 2002.
Synergistic Activities and Accomplishments
Professor Chua is known internationally as a pioneer in 3 major research areas, namely, neural networks, chaos, and nonlinear circuits. His work in these areas has been recognized internationally through numerous major awards, including 8 honorary doctorates from major universities in Europe and Japan. Professor Chua was acting Chairman of the IEEE CAS Committee (1995-2000). He has given 12 keynote addresses at major international conferences over the past 5 years.
Recipient of the top 15 cited author in Engineering Award, 2002. This award was chosen from the Current Contents (ISI) database of all cited papers in the Engineering discipline (all branches of engineering) in the citation index from 1991 to October 31, 2001.
Elected Fellow of IEEE, 1974.
Elected foreign member of the European Academy of Sciences (Academia Europea), 1997.
Recipient of the IEEE Neural Networks Pioneer Award, 2000.
- Recipient of 7 USA patents and major IEEE prizes, including the IEE Browder J. Thompson Memorial Prize Award in 1972, the IEEE W. R. G. Baker Prize Award in 1978, the Frederick Emmons Award in 1974, twice winner of the most prestigious IEEE Circuits and Systems Award (1995 and 1998).
Graduate and Postdoctoral Advisors:
Professor M.E. Van Valkenburg, University of Illiniois, Urbana
Total number of Graduate Students over the past 5 years: 5
Total number of post-doc scholars over the past 5 years: 9
- Dr. Sook Yun (recent postdoc)
- Dr. Hyongsuk Kim (recent postdoc)
- Dr. Seung Jo Han (recent postdoc)
- Dr. Donghue Guo (recent postdoc)
- Dr. Roberto Tonnelli (recent postdoc)
- Dr. R. Dogaru, University of Romania (recent postdoc)
- Dr. M. Hanggi, University of Notre Dame, (recent postdoc)
- Dr. A. Perez-Munuzuri, University o Santiago de Compostea, Spain (recent postdoc)
- Dr. R. Tetzlaff, University of Frankfurt (recent postdoc)
- Dr. K. Crounse, Agfa Corporation (recent postdoc)
- Prof. T. Rosaka, University of Budapest
- Hungary Dr. R. Dogaru, University of Romania
- Prof. M. Hanggi, University of Notre Dame
- Dr. R. Tetzlaff, University of Frankfurt
- Dr. A. Perez-Munuzuri, University o Santiago de Compostea, Spain
- Prof. M. Itoh, Fukuoka Institute of Technology, Japan
- Prof. R. Kiehl, University of Minnesota
- Prof. W. Porod, University of Notre Dame
- Dr. S. Sbitnev, University of California, Berkeley
- Prof. F. Werblin, University of California, Berkeley
Back to top