Professor in Residence
Electromagnetics at short wavelengths, particularly soft
x-ray and extreme ultraviolet radiation, x-ray optics, the generation of
coherent radiation at EUV and soft x-ray wavelengths, and applications
to microscopy and lithography.
Soft X-rays and Extreme
Ultraviolet Radiation (http://www.coe.berkeley.edu/AST/sxr2009)
This class was offered in Spring semester 2009.
Synchrotron Radiation for Material Science Applications (http://www.coe.berkeley.edu/AST/srms)
Offered in Spring semester 2007, this class was broadcast live over the Internet. Also see www.youtube.com.
Soft X-rays and Extreme
Ultraviolet Radiation (http://www.coe.berkeley.edu/AST/sxreuv)
This class was broadcast live over the Internet in 2002, 2004 and 2005. Also see www.youtube.com.
Recent Students and Research Areas
Dr. Brittany McClinton (Intel), "Mask Roughness Induced Line-Edge Roughness in Extreme Ultraviolet Lithography", EECS. (Ph.D. 12/2011)
Dr. Ryan Miyakawa (LBNL), "Wavefront Metrology for High Resolution Optical Systems", AS&T. (Ph.D. 5/2011)
Dr. Brooke Lu Mesler (Lam Research), "Nanoscale Studies of Spin Dynamics in Patterned Magnetic Materials Using Soft X-Ray Transmission Microscopy", AS&T. (Ph.D. 8/2010)
Dr. Christopher Anderson (LBNL), "Extreme Ultraviolet Lithography: A Few More Pieces of the Puzzle", AS&T. (Ph.D. 5/2009)
Dr. Andrew Aquila (XFEL, DESY), "Development of Extreme Ultraviolet and Soft X-ray Multilayer Optics for Scientific Studies with Femtosecond/Attosecond Sources", AS&T. (Ph.D. 5/2009)
Dr. Anne Sakdinawat (SLAC/Stanford), "Contrast and Resolution Enhancement Techniques for Soft X-ray Microscopy", Bioengineering. (Ph.D. 5/2008)
Dr. Weilun Chao (Lawrence Berkeley National Lab), "Resolution Characterization and Nanofabrication for Soft X-ray Zone Plate Microscopy", EECS. (Ph.D. 5/2005)
Dr. Kristine Rosfjord (University of Maryland), "Tunable Coherent Radiation at Soft X-ray Wavelengths: Generation and Interferometric Applications," EECS. (Ph.D. 7/2004)
Dr. Yanwei Liu (KLA-Tencor), "Coherence Properties of EUV/Soft X-ray Sources," AS&T. (Ph.D. 12/2003)
Dr. Chang Chang (Penn State University), "Coherence Techniques at EUV Wavelengths," EECS. (Ph.D. 12/2002)
Dr. John Heck (Intel), "Optics for High Resolution X-ray Microscopy," Applied Science and Technology. (M.S. 6/1997)
Dr. Gregory Denbeaux (Albany University), "Soft X-ray Biomicroscopy". (with Prof. John Madey, Duke University, and Dr. Werner Meyer-Ilse, LBNL)
Dr. Regina Soufli (Lawrence Livermore National Lab), "Optical Constants of Materials in the EUV/Soft X-ray Region for Multilayer Mirror Applications," EECS. (Ph.D. 12/1997)
Dr. Raul Beguiristain (Adelphi Technology), "Thermal Distortion Effects on Beam Line Optical Design for High Flux Synchroton Radiation," Nuclear Engr. (Ph.D. 12/1997)
Dr. Max Wei (Intel), "Grating Based Soft X-ray Spatial Frequency Multiplication," EECS. (Ph.D. 5/1995)
Dr. Khanh Nguyen (Google), "Reflective Masks for Extreme Ultraviolet Lithography," EECS. (Ph.D. 5/1994)
Mr. Jason Dimkoff (Sandia National Lab), "Spectrographic Study of the EUV Electric Capillary Discharge Source," EECS. (M.S. 5/2002)
- F. Brizuela, et al, "Imaging at the Nanoscale With Practical Table-Top EUV Laser-Based Full-Field Microscopes," (Invited) Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, IEEE Journal of, 18, no. 1, pp. 434 -442, Jan. 2012.
- I. A. Vartanyants, et al, "Coherence Properties of Individual Femtosecond Pulses of an X-Ray Free-Electron Laser," Phys. Rev. Lett., 107, 144801, Sep. 2011.
- A. Sakdinawat and D. Attwood, "Nanoscale X-Ray Microscopy", (Invited), Nature Photonics, (Dec 2010).
- D. Attwood, "Nanotomography Comes of Age", Nature 442, 642 (10 August 2006).
- C. Chang, A. Sakdinawat, P. Fischer, E. Anderson, and D. Attwood, "Single-element Objective Lens for Soft-X-Ray Differential Interference Contrast Microscopy", Opt. Lett. 31, 1564 (2006).
- W. Chao, B.H. Harteneck, J.A. Liddle, E.H. Anderson, D.T. Attwood. "Soft X-ray Microscopy at Spatial Resolution Better than 15 nm," Nature 435, 1210 (2005).
- K. Rosfjord, Y. Liu and D. Attwood, "Tunable Coherent Soft X-rays," IEEE JSTQE 10, 1405 (2004).
- R. Bartels et al., "Generation of Spatially Coherent Light at Extreme Ultraviolet Wavelengths", Science 297, 376 (2002).
- Y. Liu et al., "Achievement of Essentially Full Spatial Coherence in a High-Average-Power Soft X-ray Laser," Phys. Rev. A 63, 033802(2001).
D. Attwood et al., "Tunable Coherent Radiation in the Soft X-ray and Extreme
Ultraviolet Spectral Regions," IEEE J. Quant. Electr. 35, 709 (1999).
D. Attwood et al., "At-Wavelength Metrologies for Extreme Ultraviolet Lithography"
(in Japanese), J. Fut. Electr. Dev. (Tokyo) 8, 17 (1997).
D. Attwood, "New Opportunities at X-ray Wavelengths," Physics Today, p.
24 (August 1992).
D. Attwood, K. Halbach and K.-J. Kim, "Tunable Coherent X-rays," Science
1265 (14 June 1985).
J. Underwood and D. Attwood, "The Renaissance of X-ray Optics," Physics
Today, p. 44 (April 1984).
D. Attwood, Soft X-rays
and Extreme Ultraviolet Radiation: Principles and Applications
(Cambridge University Press, 1999)
W. Meyer-Ilse, T. Warwick and D. Attwood, Editors, X-ray Microscopy
(Amer. Instit. Physics, Washington D.C., 2000)
F. Zernike and D. Attwood, Editors, EUV Lithography (OSA, Washington
D. Attwood and J. Bokor, Editors, Short Wavelength Coherent Radiation
(Amer. Instit. Physics, N.Y., 1986)
D. Attwood and B. Henke, Editors, Low Energy X-ray Diagnostics (Amer.
Instit. Physics, N.Y., 1981)
You can reach me at: firstname.lastname@example.org