"Peers supporting peers with grad school life."
Grad school at Berkeley is an amazing opportunity, but it can also be emotionally, psychologically, and physically exhausting.
It's easy to be overwhelmed by coursework, research, and exams. Add advisor problems, homesickness, or conflict with family to the mix, and things can get pretty stressful. A lot of us at one time or another wonder how we got into Berkeley in the first place, how others around us can be so on top of things. Sometimes in the midst of grad school stresses you just want the perspective of another grad student who's gone through similar experiences. EECS Peers is here to offer that!
EECS Peers is here to talk about everything from the really tough stuff to the regular day-to-day business of being a grad student. We're happy to talk to you about whatever's on your mind. Here are some examples:
- I'm not sure I have the right advisor.
- I want to learn about xyz subject, but I don't know anyone in that area.
- I could use some time management tips and tricks.
- I'm thinking of changing areas.
- I don't like my research project and I don't know what to do.
- I'm having trouble balancing school and personal life.
- I'm overwhelmed.
- I'd just like to talk to someone!
EECS Peers aims to provide a private, open-minded, and supportive ear for any of these situations and to serve as a resource to other students who are navigating issues with classes, advisors, exams, stress, and conflict.If you have a problem that's hard to address with others around you, we're happy to talk! You can reach out to any of the peers below via:
- Email: You can send a regular old email, or you should feel free to make a throwaway account to talk to us anonymously.
- Office Hours: We hold office hours once a week. Look for the announcements Mondays through the eecs-grads mailing list.
- In person: All peers have EECS Peers postcards posted at their desks - just drop by!
Not sure who to talk to or have other questions? Ask the the EECS Peers coordinators:
- CS: Sarah Chasins (schasins [at] cs.berkeley.edu)
- EE: Aaron Bestick (abestick [at] eecs.berekeley.edu)
Want to talk to a faculty member instead of a peer? Contact an ombudsman or a member of the grievence council in the department.