Steps for Newly Arriving EECS Department Visiting Scholars, Visiting Student Researchers, and Paid-Direct Postdocs
Contact the Academic Personnel Assistant for the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Division to arrange a meeting so you can complete the documents needed to obtain a UC Berkeley ID number. Bring your passport/legal identification and your DS-2019, if you have one, to this meeting.
- Visiting Scholars & Student Researchers See Tamiko George (tamiko@berkeley), 306 McLaughlin Hall
- Paid-Direct Postdocs See Alberto Marcelo (albertom@eecs), 253 Cory Hall
In the meeting with the Academic Personnel Assistant all visitors will complete and sign the University's required Patent Acknowledgement Form (see UCOP Patent Policy for details on the UC Patent Acknowledgement). Note: you will not need to sign the "State Oath of Allegiance" that appears on the Patent Acknowledgement Form. Your completed, signed Patent Acknowledgement Form will be forwarded to the Berkeley campus Visiting Scholar and Postdoc Affairs Office.
Visiting Scholars & Visiting Student Researchers only, you will also be asked for the $400 University Services Fee or your Faculty Host's Research Support Officer will provide the relevant form if your Host is paying this fee for you.
After your forms are completed and signed, you will be entered into the UCB Human Resources database. This action will produce an official UC Berkeley ID number, which will be provided to you.
For information on health services offered by the University Health Service to Visiting Scholars, see
Cal 1 Card (UC Berkeley ID—includes "CalNet ID")
Generally within three or four days after the last of the above actions occurs, visitors should be able to get a Cal ID card from the Cal 1 ID card booth in the Cesar Chavez Center on Lower Sproul Plaza. Call there first, to make sure you are showing in the Human Resources database: (510) 653-6839.
When you go to the Cal 1 ID card booth, take your passport or driver's license and the UC Berkeley ID number that was provided to you. Ask them for a CalNet token to facilitate activation of your CalNet ID. A CalNet ID is necessary for computer accounts, wireless access, and online Library access, among other campus services.
With your CalNet ID and token, activate your CalNet account by going to the Create CalNet ID web page. When you enter your UC Berkeley ID number along with the registration token, you will create a passphrase in order to complete the activation of your CalNet ID. You will also be asked to set a CalNetKey and security questions to further protect your account.
Visiting Scholars & Visiting Student Researchers only, inform VSPA at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately of your new CalMail email address; this is a requirement of the VSPA Program.
For Recreational Sports Facility access, see instructions on the RSF Affiliate Membership page.
To obtain EECS Department Keys and Cardkeys
With a Cal Photo ID card in hand, new visitors can request metal key and cardkey access.
EECS Visitors in Cory Hall or Soda Hall:
- Go to the front desk at Cory Hall (253 Cory) or Soda Hall (387 Soda) and complete a hard-copy Access Request form.
- Take the Request form to your Faculty Host, or a designee with signing authority, to sign authorizing your access.
- Review the Department's "Injury and Illness Prevention Plan" for Cory or Soda, and "Building Emergency Plan" for Cory or Soda. Online review is required before keys/cardkeys can be issued. More emergency and safety information can be found at: http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/department/emergency/
- After reviewing the safety plans, return your completed Access Request form to the Soda Hall front desk (395 Soda), which issues keys for both Cory and Soda Halls. The front desk person will issue any metal keys that have been authorized. Note that cardkey activation typically takes 24 hours.
EECS Visitors in CITRIS/Sutardja Dai Hall:
- Visit the Sutardja Dai Hall reception desk at 345 SD Hall (this is the Tech Museum Reception Desk) between 9am - 4pm and pick-up the SD Hall Access Request form.
- Have the form signed by your Faculty Host or designee
- Return completed form to 345 Sutardja Dai Hall (reception desk).
Review the information on UC Postdoctoral Benefits programs on the VSPA Health and Welfare Benefits website and talk to your Faculty Host about payment arrangements. Read the plan details on the carrier's website before making enrollment choices!
The University Health Service posts information on services it offers to Postdoctoral Fellows at
Visiting Scholars and Student Researchers only: Health Insurance confirmation / international visitors
The EECS Academic Personnel Assistant will direct Visiting Scholars/Visiting Student Researchers to the University Health Services at the Tang Center to buy a health insurance policy if you did not bring insurance with you, or to confirm that your insurance is sufficient if you did.
The University Health Service posts information on services it offers to International Visiting Scholars at
International Scholars Information Meeting at the Berkeley International Office
UC Berkeley expects all international visitors (Visiting Scholars, Visiting Student Researchers, Postdoctoral Fellows) to attend a New Scholars Information Meeting at the International House as soon as possible after their arrival.