Set Up a Vacation Email Message
You will need to go to the CalMail website to set up your vacation message: https://calmail.berkeley.edu/
- In the jade-colored box on the left, select "Manage Your Account" (the second choice down)
- Log in if requested
- Select your @eecs.berkeley.edu email address if requested. If there's a "Login" button on the page, click it.
- In the blue box on the left, select "Vacation Message" (the last choice in the list)
- In the "Send the following autoreply" field select "Yes." When you return, set this back to "No."
- Fill in the Subject line and message body, and click "Update Settings."
Remember to power off all the electrical devices in your office before you leave for the holidays.
- Shut down your pc
- Turn off your monitor
- Turn off your printer
- Turn off FAX machines, copiers, heaters, lights, mini-fridges, etc.
- After all machines have been shut down, turn off power strips: a lot of electronic equipment draws a small amount of power even when turned off.
If you are leaving before a planned power outage, unplug your electrical devices after you have shut them down.
- Unplug your PC where the power cord meets the computer and drape the cord over the body of the computer. That way you can find it more easily when you return.
- Don't unplug devices which are plugged into a power strip/surge protector. Simply turn off and unplug the power strip.
- Depending how long you will be gone, you may wish to leave a post-it on your monitor to remind yourself what needs to be plugged back in.
Other Things You May Wish To Do
- Set up your telephone "Out of Office" message.
- Check that your windows are tightly closed.
- Leave a note on your door.
- Before long trips, remove yourself from mailing lists.
- Turn in your time sheet, if applicable.
- Empty your trash.
Friday, 21-Dec-2012 08:31:24 PST