When someone departs, and they need to transfer their email to a colleague in their group, both the contributor and the recipient will each need to follow a particular set of procedures.
Procedures for the
Procedures for the
Procedures for the Departing Person
Copy the mailboxes to your Local Folders
In Thunderbird, after you have determined which folders to copy:
- Pull down the Tools menu and select Account Settings...
- Find Local Folders toward the bottom of the left-side column, and click on it once.
- On the right-side pane, find the Local directory field and note the path to Local Folders. It should be on your H: drive.
- Click the Cancel button.
Back in your regular mail profile, one by one, drag each folder that
you would like to save into Local Folders.
- If you have not worked with your folders for a while, you may need to click on them before you copy them and wait for the messages to be downloaded from the server.
- Depending on the size of the folders, the transfer process may take a long time. Be sure that the copying process is completed on the current folder before copying the next folder.
- Check to make sure that all of the files and folders you want are in "Local Folders" and close Thunderbird.
Move the mailboxes to the shared drive
- Be sure that Thunderbird is closed. Follow the path to the Local Folders directory. You should see the folders that you copied there. Keep that window open.
Navigate to the shared folder in which you would like to place
the mailboxes. It will probably be in
- Create a folder in it called email or login email(where login is your login name)
Go back to the "Local Folders" window and copy over
all of the desired mailboxes into the the new
- one file will have a simple file name without a suffix
- one file will have an identical name with a .msf suffix. For example, if the name of the mailbox folder you copied over was Admissions you should also copy over the Admissions file and the Admissions.msf file.
- If you are copying a subfolder, you will need to copy over the file with the .sbd suffix as well.
If you are staying on campus and would like to transfer EECS mail files to your CalMail account, see the Transferring Email Files and Folders section of the ACG Staff Departure Computer Procedure web page.
Procedures for the Recipient
Install the LocalFolder Add-on
- Open the "Tools" menu and select "Add-ons."
- Be sure that "Extensions" is selected in the left-side pane and check if LocalFolder appears in the list to the right.
- If you DO NOT see LocalFolder, type "LocalFolder" in the "search all add-ons" field at the top of the window. Click the magnifying glass to search.
- Follow the instructions to install the add-on. This will include clicking on a link to restart Thunderbird.
Create a Local Folder for the Departing Person's Mail
- Pull down your "Tools" menu and select "Account Settings"
- At the bottom of the left-side column, click the arrow next to "Account Actions" and select "New local folder"
- Name it something simple and intuitive, like: rschafer
- Click on the "Browse" button next to "Directory" and navigate to the new email folder on the shared drive where the departing person's mail was put. You might need to get the path to this file from the departing person.
- Click "OK" and "OK" again to bring you back to the main Thunderbird window.
- Pull down the "File" menu and select "Exit" to close Thunderbird
- Wait 15 seconds and restart Thunderbird. Find the new account name in the left-side pane and click on the small "plus" sign to the left of it. When it expands, you should see the new folders there.
Friday, 01-Jun-2012 14:50:22 PDT