A Network Architecture for Wireless Sensor Networks (SNAP)
Prabal Dutta, Jaein Jeong, Xiaofan Fred Jiang, Sukun Kim, Jayant Taneja, Arsalan Tavakoli, Phillip Levis1, David Culler, Ion Stoica and Scott Shenker
The last five years have been witness to an unprecedented level of growth and development in the sensornet research field, with these sensor networks being used in a wide variety of applications. In order to allow for such rapid innovation, relatively few architectural restrictions were put in place, in terms of standard interfaces and defined layering schemes, resulting in monolithic, and largely non-reusable, implementations. The goal of this research is an overall sensornet architecture that will help tame the increasingly complex structure of wireless sensornet software and help foster greater interoperability between different code bases.
The Sensornet Protocol (SP), the first step towards this architecture, was a unifying link layer abstraction, serving as the narrow-waist of the architecture in a manner similar to IP. Subsequent work introduced a modular network layer framework that defined and componentized the responsibilities of the network layer. Current work focuses on a platform-independent link estimator, an energy monitoring and management system, as well as reliable transport protocols.
- D. Culler, P. Dutta, C. T. Ee, R. Fonseca, J. Hui, P. Levis, J. Polastre, S. Shenker, I. Stoica, G. Tolle, and J. Zhao, "Towards a Sensor Network Architecture: Lowering the Waistline," Proc. HotOS X, June 2005.
- J. Polastre, J. Hui, P. Levis, J. Zhao, D. Culler, S. Shenker, and I. Stoica, "A Unifying Link Abstraction for Wireless Sensor Networks," Proc. ACM Conf. Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys), November 2005.
- C. T. Ee, R. Fonseca, S. Kim, D. Moon, and A. Tavakoli, "A Modular Network Layer for Sensornets," Proc. Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), November 2006.
- K. Srinivasan, P. Dutta, A. Tavakoli, and P. Levis, "Some Implications of Low Power Wireless to IP Networking," HotNets-V, Irvine, CA, November 29-30, 2006.
- S. Kim, R. Fonseca, P. Dutta, A. Tavakoli, D. Culler, P. Levis, S. Shenker, and I. Stoica, "Flush: A Reliable Bulk Transport Protocol for Multihop Wireless Networks," Proceedings of the Fifth ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys'07), November 6-9, 2007.
- P. Dutta, D. Culler, and S. Shenker, "Procrastination Might Lead to a Longer and More Useful Life," HotNets-VI, Atlanta, GA, November 14-15, 2007.
- X. Jiang, J. Taneja, J. Ortiz, A. Tavakoli, P. Dutta, J. Jeong, D. Culler, P. Levis, and S. Shenker, "An Architecture for Energy Management in Wireless Sensor Networks," International Workshop on Wireless Sensor Network Architecture (WSNA'07), April 2007.
- A. Tavakoli, P. Dutta, J. Jeong, S. Kim, J. Ortiz, P. Levis, and S. Shenker, "A Modular Sensornet Architecture: Past, Present, and Future Directions," International Workshop on Wireless Sensor Network Architecture (WSNA'07), April 2007.