Prisms and Fiberoptics
- Did you ever shine a flashlight in the bathroom mirror? What happened? Why?
- Do you have any prisms at home? How do you use them? What have you noticed about them?
- Have you noticed that objects underwater look different? Maybe bigger? Do you have any idea why?
- What do you know about optics?
- Have you heard of fiber optics? What do you know about it?
We explained the procedure with the flashlights, prisms, and index cards.
Each girl had a handout, flashlight, prism and index card. After slitting the index card, the girls
followed the instructions on the handout:
The girls were encouraged to explore with different angles of light and different orientations of
the prism. If time allowed, the girls experimented with multiple prisms.
- They predicted the direction of the flashlight beam
- They oriented the prism and flashlight (as shown on the handout)
- They recorded the results
We began discussion by asking the girls what they discovered during the experiment:
Finally, we briefly explained reflection and refraction, and used fiber optics as an example of application.
- Were their prediction results close to the actual results?
- What did they learn?
Back to Double X Homepage.