Comrades, Start Your Airbags!
Description of Procedure:
- What is a reaction? What do you know about reactions?
- If you react a liquid with a liquid, do you always get a liquid? Can you get a solid or anything else? (precipitate)
- What do you know about airbags? Where do you see them? How do they work? What do they do?
- How do you find the volume of something? (L x W x H)
- You are provided with baking soda, vinegar, and plastic baggies. Use these items to create the
ideal airbag. Who can make the biggest? Can you keep the airbags under 3.5 grams?
- Make sure you record how much of each item you put into the bag.
- Record the volume and weight of each inflated bag.
- What were your observations? Did you notice anything unusual?
- Why did the airbags expand? (gas was created)
- What was the gas? What was the reaction?
- Any questions?