Getting Into CS Classes
Note: After reading the explanations below, students with additional questions or need for enrollment advice should visit the CS Scheduling Assistant in 379 Soda.
For COMPSCI Lower Division Courses (COMPSCI 61ABC and 70):
Any EECS major or undeclared COE student may enroll directly into
these classes provided there is space. Undeclared L&S students
who are first or second year undergraduates
will also be able to enroll directly into these classes; third year
undergraduates who are undeclared L&S students would be treated
similarly for Fall semester classes only and then only for CS 61C and CS
Other students will be able to place themselves on
Transfer students —as well as first or second year undergraduates who have received community college units while in high school— who have difficulty enrolling should contact Michael-David Sasson (sasson@berkeley).
Until the end of undergraduate Phase II appointments (e.g.,July 29 for Fall 2013), 300 spots are reserved for EECS and undeclared COE majors for COMPSCI classes: 61ABC. 200 spots are reserved for EECS and undeclared COE majors for COMPSCI 70.
At this point, the remaining slots are all reserved for undeclared L&S majors (prioritizing access to transfer students and —should we be able to identify them— intended LSCS majors).
COGSCI majors are treated with the same priority as EECS majors but only for COMPSCI 61A.
Any UC student can get onto the waitlist.
As soon as all undergraduate students have had their Phase II
telebears appointment, no seats will continue to be held for students
with particular majors. Similarly, juniors and senior L&S students will
also be able to be admitted to these classes at this time. Since now the
waitlist will be processed in order, students with other majors and L&S
juniors and seniors who used phase I and phase II of telebears to
prioritize these classes will be enrolled before EECS and undeclared L&S
students who wait until open enrollment to sign up for these classes.
NOTE: Unless telebears does not ask for DIS and/or LAB sections to be chosen, students will need for there to be space in both the lecture and the secondary sections they choose to waitlist before being enrolled.
For COMPSCI Upper Division Courses:
- Each upper div class in which getting sufficient TA support is not identified as uncertain will be set up to allow initial enrollment up to 70% of projected enrollment capacity.
- In Phase I, LSCS and EECS students with senior standing in telebears will be able to enroll directly into these classes. Only declared LSCS and EECS majors will be able to put themselves on the waitlist at all.
- In Phase II, all declared LSCS and EECS majors will be enrolled starting from the beginning of the existing waitlist. Any UC student can put themselves on the waitlist
Once Phase II is over (i.e., August 19 for Fall 2013), during open
enrollment, any UC student will be enrolled starting from the beginning
of the existing waitlist. Neither major status nor class standing will
impact enrollment at this point.
NOTE: Unless telebears does not ask for DIS sections to be chosen, students will need for there to be space in both the lecture and the secondary sections they choose to waitlist before being enrolled.
For COMPSCI Graduate Courses:
- Undergraduate enrollment into CS graduate courses requires instructor approval and is usually not dependent on waitlist position.
- Students should have a conversation with the instructor and if they get approval to be enrolled ask the instructor to communicate with Michael-David Sasson (email@example.com) so that they may be enrolled. One way to do this would be e-mail the instructor including Michael-David in the cc line and asking the instructor to reply all confirming that Michael-David should process the enrollment.
|EECS Policies and Procedures|