Information for M.S. Students

Coursework Research Candidacy Thesis/Report Exit/Graduation

The following may be used as a guideline for obtaining the Masters of Science degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences. For complete details on requirements and procedures, see the EECS Graduate Handbook or the Masters Student Services Advisor (Michael Sun, msun86@eecs, 205 Cory Hall). The same process and guidelines are required of Ph.D. students who plan to earn the M.S. degree along the way to the doctoral degree.

Master of Science (M.S.)

Tasks & Policies You Should Know

Minimum 24 units with 3.0 cumulative GPA:
  • 10 units of 200-level EECS courses (not 298 or 299)
  • 4-10 units of 299 for PLAN I
    3-6 units of 299 for PLAN II
  • Remaining units can be 100- or 200-level courses from any department (as approved by your advisor)
All courses should be taken for a letter grade except 299s, which is taken as S/U.
No credit for D+ or below.
Find a research advisor.

Complete a research project.
  1. Decide on Thesis committee
  2. For Plan II, Departmental form only
  3. For Plan I, Departmental and Graduate Division forms

& Offices
You Should

Research Advisor


Staff Graduate Advisor
(Michael Sun
205 Cory)

CSS Team 2
(199M Cory)



Tips for Finding an Advisor

Peruse websites and publications to learn about faculty research interests and projects. Then discuss opportunities in office hours or by setting up a meeting (email usually works best, but use other means if you do not get a response). You may also consider starting a conversation about research with one of your instructors, perhaps during office hours or after a lecture. Seminars are another opportunity not only to learn about technology and science but also to meet fellow grad students who can tell you about their experience and introduce you to faculty they are working with. Many groups hold regular meetings where you can get to know team members and their projects. Ask a professor or one of his/her students if you may attend the group meeting. Contact your temporary advisor or Staff Graduate Advisor if you have questions or have not made contact with prospective thesis advisors by the end of the first semester. Inform Michael Sun (msun86@eecs) when you have found a permanent advisor and also if you change your advisor (yes, it happens and is OK).

When you have found a Research Advisor and no longer have a temporary one, you must notify Michael Sun and the Infrastructure Development & Support Group (idsg-admin@eecs) to update the department records. No other forms or paperwork are required.

Advancement to Candidacy

How to...

(online brochure) (Download Graduation checklist here)

Plan I or Plan II?

Most EECS M.S. students submit a Plan II thesis report because of its flexibility. You can learn more by reading the Graduate Division's guide and/or the EECS Graduate Handbook under Degree Programs 5.2.6.

M.S. Thesis/Report

Filing Fee Status

If you need to use the Filing Fee option:

Filing Thesis/Report

Exit Survey & Graduation


Tech Report


Adding the MS in EECS or CS from another Department

EECS Graduate Student Affairs (current graduate students only)