Graduate Research Programs Admissions
Please consult the Admissions Checklist for complete admissions requirements.
The Fall 2016 Admissions Period opened on September 8, 2015. The deadline to apply is December 8, 2015.
To apply, you must submit an online application through the Graduate Division.
Prerequisites for Applying to UC Berkeley's Graduate Programs
The minimum graduate admission requirements are:
- A bachelor's degree or recognized equivalent from an accredited institution. If you are in your final year of studies and you expect to earn your degree by mid-August of the following year, you may apply. If you are admitted, you will be required to provide proof at that time that you have earned your bachelor's degree, usually in the form of a final official transcript.
- If you attended an American university or a university that uses a similar 4.0 scale, a satisfactory scholastic average with a minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0 (B) is required. If you attended a university that does not use the 4.0 system, please do not try and convert your grades to our system - leave that section blank on your application.
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation uploaded as PDFs through the link provided in the online application. Your letters could include details about your goals, research accomplishments, technical and leadership skills, academic work, etc. We suggest to give your recommenders at least a few weeks to write your letters.
- The General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). We do not have minimum or cutoff GRE test scores. Please see the Admission Requirements page for more information.
- If you received or are a candidate to receive a degree from an institution outside the United States, please see Minimum Degree Requirements for International Applicants and Evidence of English Language Proficiency.