Graduate Degree Programs > Research Programs Admissions
Research Programs Admissions
Please consult the Admissions Checklist for complete admissions requirements.
The online application deadline was December 16, 2013 and the supplemental materials (letters of recommendation, GRE, and TOEFL scores) deadline was January 6, 2014. Applications will open again in early Fall 2014.
When applying, please choose EECS or CS BASED ON THE RESEARCH AREAS listed in the left column of the Admissions Checklist (a few areas are available in both divisions). You then need to choose your degree program: MS, MS/PhD, or PhD. Select the appropriate degree program because you can only apply to one degree program during each admission cycle.
Prerequisites for Applying to UC Berkeley's Graduate Programs
The minimum graduate admission requirements are:
- A bachelorís degree or recognized equivalent from an accredited institution. If you are in your final year of studies and you expect to earn your degree by mid-August of the following year, you may apply. If you are admitted, you will be required to provide proof at that time that you have earned your bachelor's degree, usually in the form of a final official transcript.
- If you attended an American university or a university that uses a similar 4.0 scale, a satisfactory scholastic average with a minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0 (B) is required. If you attended a university that does not use the 4.0 system, please do not try and convert your grades to our system - leave that section blank on your application.
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation uploaded as PDFs through the link provided in the online application. Your letters could include details about your goals, research accomplishments, technical and leadership skills, academic work, etc. We suggest to give your recommenders at least a few weeks to write your letters.
- The General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). We do not have minimum or cutoff GRE test scores. Please see the Admission Requirements page for more information.
- If you received or are a candidate to receive a degree from an institution outside the United States, please see Minimum Degree Requirements for International Applicants and Evidence of English Language Proficiency.
Suggestions for Applicants Without a CS Degree
Although we do not require applicants to our computer science graduate programs to already have a degree in computer science, we do expect them to have a strong technical background equivalent to a computer science bachelors degree. Admission to these programs requires experience in programming, algorithms, data structures, and theory at or above the undergraduate level.