Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

What can I do to prepare my application to UC Berkeley?

Use the Admissions Checklists found here:

Does EECS accept applications for the Spring semester?

Only the MAS-IC Program has spring admission. For all other programs, we ONLY offer admission for the Fall.

Does the university accept three (3) year degrees?

We accept some three-year Bologna Process bachelor-level degrees. The Graduate Division requires a bachelor-level honors degree from applicants from universities in Australia and New Zealand who have completed three-year degrees. We do not accept three years degrees from India.

What are the minimum requirements to be considered for admission to a graduate program in EECS?

Please see our Prerequisites page. We do not have GRE score minimums or cutoffs. The campus requires a minimum TOEFL iBT score of 68 and a minimum GPA (if on the 4.0 scale) of 3.0.

My undergraduate degree is not in Electrical Engineering (EE) or Computer Science (CS). Can I still apply to a graduate program in EECS?

Yes, however, a strong application will still have to elaborate on your technical knowledge, your ability to do graduate level research and classes upon entrance to the program, and your academic potential in general. Please see our Suggestions For Applicants Without a CS Degree.

Is it possible to apply to two departments?

No, you can only submit one graduate school application to one department for UC Berkeley each admissions cycle.

Can I transfer credit from another university?

Our professional, industry-oriented programs provide all of the necessary coursework and project experience you need in a compact timeframe, so transferring courses is not necessary.

If I already have a Masters or a PhD can I apply to your program?

Applicants who already hold a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or any closely related field should not apply for the MEng in our department, but may apply to our MAS-IC degree program.

What is the departmental GRE code?

To ensure that your official GRE scores are forwarded to the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences you must give ETS either the Electrical Engineering department code (1203) or the Computer Science department code (0402) when requesting official score reports to be sent to UC Berkeley (institution code - 4833). Do not have them sent to 4925.

Does the department require any GRE subject tests?

Only the general GRE consisting of the verbal, analytical and quantitative sections is required. Subject GRE tests are not required and there is no penalty for not taking one.

If I take the GRE more than once, which scores do you consider?

The highest scores will be the most important to us.

How important is the writing/verbal portion of the GRE?

Though the math section will be more important in our review, any score less than the 50th percentile on the verbal section or less than 3.0 on the analytical section of the test will be of concern.

Who needs to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores?

The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required of all international applicants who received their undergraduate degree at a university or college in a country where English is not the official language. However, if at the time of application, you have already completed at least one year of full-time academic course work with grades of B or better at a U.S. University, you do not need to take the TOEFL. Instead, you must submit an official transcript from the U.S. university. The following courses will not fulfill this requirement:

  1. Courses in English as a Second Language
  2. Courses conducted in a language other than English
  3. Courses that will be completed after you apply
  4. Courses of a non-academic nature

Also, simply having lived and worked in the US or another English-speaking country does not satisfy the English Language Requirement for the MEng program, but it does satisfy the requirement for the MAS-IC program.

Does the department require that I calculate and list my grade-point average (GPA) on the application?

For applicants who received their undergraduate degree at a US institution, yes. If you attended a non-US university, please do not try and convert your grades to our system--just leave that section blank.

Where do I send transcripts?

Hardcopy transcripts are no longer required for the application process. Please do not mail them. Follow the instructions in the online application regarding the uploading of unofficial transcripts as PDFs.

When does the application review begin? Does the department have a rolling application process?

The application review begins shortly after the application deadline. We do not have a rolling application process, although we encourage all applicants to apply early in order to correct problems that might arise.

When will I be notified whether I have been admitted?

All of our decisions will be sent by e-mail by April 1st.

Is it possible to add another degree once I am in the department?

Once you are admitted, you will not be able to petition to add another degree. You must apply separately after completing the first degree program.

Is there a part-time option?

The M.Eng. program allows full-time or part-time students. The MAS-IC program is solely part-time.

How long does it take to complete an M.Eng. degree? A MAS-IC degree?

The MEng program is full-time one year or part-time two to three years. The MAS-IC program takes two years to complete.

Where can I find the degree requirements in detail?

Please see the MEng, MAS-IC, and 5th yr MS pages individually.

How much does your graduate program cost?

Please see Registration Fees and Tuition Costs & Fees. The MEng and MAS-IC programs each cost roughly $55,000 USD each for all tuition and fees.