Student Progress Review Instructions
Provide every student with detailed feedback on his or her progress, advice on the areas that need improvement, and an acknowledgment of accomplishments and strengths.
Discuss and agree on future goals and milestones.
Ultimately, we hope this progress review will help graduate students achieve their degree goals in a timely manner, aid productivity, and improve student retention.
Schedule a 20 minute, one-on-one progress review meeting with your advisor before the deadline. If you have co-advisors, you must meet with both and complete forms. Submit the on-line "Student Progress Questionnaire" and take a blank "Student Progress Review" form to the meeting with your advisor. Complete and sign the "Student Progress Review" form during this meeting. Signing this form indicates agreement on the appraisal. Otherwise, we request that you attach an extra sheet of paper on which you list the points of disagreement.
After the review meeting with your advisor, return the completed "Student Progress Review" form to Shirley Salanio in 217 Cory. This form will be included in your student file.
Hold a 20 minute, one-on-one meeting with each of your advisees to discuss his or her progress. The Fall Mini-Review may require a meeting with only a subset of your advisees.
- Prior to the meeting, review your advisee's on-line "Progress Questionnaire" by logging into the EECS Grad Student Review Database using your CalNet ID and passphrase.
- "My Grad Students" will produce a list of your advisees (research and temporary) with basic information about admission and enrollment. Students whose status fall outside the norm for any reason (more than 15 semesters in program, no QE/Prelim/MS, low GPA, no research advisor after one year, etc.) are flagged with an asterisk (*) on this list. Please address the issue during the review.
- Click on each student name to view the individual student "Review Summary" screen. This screen contains a snapshot of major milestones, a link to the student "Progress Questionnaire" (left side of the top navigation menu).
- You may choose to use the Graduate Student Skills Lists as a guideline or starting point for your discussion.
- During the meeting, complete and sign the "Student Progress Review" form (in paper only). Signing the “Student Progress Review” form indicates agreement on the appraisal. If the student is in disagreement of the appraisal and does not sign the form, he or she should attach an extra paper listing the points of disagreement.
- Your student will return the completed "Student Progress Review" form to the Grad Office.
After meeting with your students, return to the EECS Grad Student Review Database to assign an appropriate letter to be sent to each student and indicate if you met with the student this term.
- "My Grad Students" will produce a list of your advisees (research
and temporary) with basic information about admission and enrollment.
- Click on each student name to view the individual student "Review Summary" screen. On this screen you must, at minimum, record if you met (yes or no) and assign at least one letter type for each of your students (at the bottom of the student screen). Additionally, you may assign a second letter type, a P.S., and you are encouraged to write a brief comment (up to 1000 characters) in the "letter note" section. Don't forget to SAVE your entry!
- "View All Students" allows the viewing and sorting of all registered grad students in the department.
- "Search for Students" allows the viewing of an individual student record.
Attend the Grad Student Review meeting.
After the full faculty review meeting, each student will receive a feedback letter from the faculty as a whole. These letters will be delivered to grad student mailboxes. In some cases, letters will be sent by email and/or US postal service.
|EE Student Review|