CS Student Review
The Spring 2015 CS Grad Student Review deadline is Friday, April 17, 2015, 4:30pm.
The spring semester review is required for all graduate students.
Ensure students receive feedback on their progress, include advice on the areas that need improvement (as necessary) and acknowledgment of accomplishments and strengths.
Discuss and agree on future goals and milestones.
Ultimately, we hope this progress review will help graduate students achieve their degree goals in a timely manner, aid productivity, and improve student retention.
- Make a 20-minute review appointment with your advisor (temporary or permanent). Please schedule a time with your advisor as soon as possible to complete the required forms.
- Fill out the online Student Progress Questionnaire available through MY EECS INFO. (In Spring semesters, this step is optional for post-quals students, who instead need to fill out the Graduate Division's Academic Progress Report - see the last bullet below.) Submit and print a copy of the completed questionnaire that will include your degree summary and take it to the meeting with your advisor, where you and your advisor will review and sign it.
- During the meeting, you and your advisor will also complete together the Student Progress Review form. Print a blank copy of this form and take it to the meeting where together you and your advisor will complete, sign and date it. Signing this form indicates agreement on the appraisal. Otherwise, we request that you attach an extra sheet of paper on which you list the points of disagreements.
- For students who have advanced to candidacy, please plan to also meet with the additional inside EECS faculty member from your dissertation committee and have him/her review and sign the form indicating their agreement of the appraisal. If there are points of disagreement and/or if any additional comments are needed, please attach an extra sheet of paper to the form.
- After the review meeting with your advisor (and dissertation committee members for those who have advanced to candidacy), return the completed Student Progress Review form and Student Progress Questionnaire to Heather Levien in the CS Graduate Office, 367 Soda Hall by the deadline. These forms will be included in your student file.
- Students that have successfully passed their Qualifying exam and been advanced to candidacy, must complete the Graduate Division's online Academic Progress Report (APR). This is a requirement by the Graduate Division. The Academic Progress Report, to be completed on an annual basis, is designed to assist doctoral students and their dissertation chair to stay on track with advising and other supportive activities to help facilitate the completion of doctoral work in a timely manner. The student must fill out the form, then notify their dissertation chair and the inside EECS committee member to complete the form. It is the student's responsibility to have these two faculty members complete the form. To access the form, students will need to log in to GLOW, https://gradlink.berkeley.edu/GLOW/.
Letter type assignments are due on Friday, April 17, 2015.
- Please hold a 20 minute, one-on-one meeting with each of your advisees to discuss his or her progress.
- Prior to the meeting, review your advisee's on-line "Progress Questionnaire" by logging into the EECS Grad Student Review Database using your CalNet ID and passphrase.
- Click on the link(s) to produce a list of your advisees (research and temporary) with basic information about the students, their self-appraisals, level of stress, workload, work environment, and any additional comments.
- Please note that students whose status falls outside the norm for any reason (more than 12 semesters in program, no QE/Prelim/MS, low GPA, no research advisor after one year, etc.) will have a notation under the column "Comments". Please address the issue(s) during the review.
- Please also pay special attention to the "Self Appraisal," "Stress," "Workload," and "Work Environment" columns for instances of students falling into a range of concern.
- Click on each student name to view the individual student "Review Summary" screen. On this screen you can view your student's progress towards the degree, assign letter type and record your meeting.
- At minimum, you must record if you met (yes or no) and assign at least one letter type for each of your students (at the bottom of the student screen). Additionally, you may wish to indicate if you would like to discuss the student at the Faculty Review meeting. In addition, you may assign a second letter type, a P.S., and you are encouraged to write a brief personal note (up to 1000 characters). Don't forget to SAVE your entry!
- From the individual student "Review Summary" screen, you can view the ON-LINE "Student Progress Questionnaire." Click on the "Progress Questionnaire" link on the left side of the top navigation menu to review your student's progress since the last review.
- Your student will also bring a copy of the completed questionnaire to the meeting with you and together you should review the information and sign the form, indicating that you have reviewed the information.
- You may choose to use the Graduate Student Skills List as a guideline or starting point for your discussion.
- During your advisor/student meeting, complete the Student Progress Review form (pdf / Word) and which is still in paper only. Both you and the student should sign and date this form as well as the Student Progress Questionnaire. The student should submit both of these forms to the CS Grad Office.
- Graduate Student Skills List
- Student Progress Questionnaire on-line through MY EECS INFO
- Student Progress Review* (Word), (pdf)
(These forms were originally designed and have recently been revised by the CSGSA with faculty and staff input. If you have any comments about the Review forms or procedures, please contact Shirley Salanio, the EE Graduate Advisor, shirley@eecs.)
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes. Complete the Questionnaire and meet with your Temporary Advisor. Take this opportunity to discuss any difficulties you may have encountered or steps you might take in finding a Research Advisor.
Yes. The Grad Student Review is meant for all current grad students.
Please discuss this with your advisor; completing the review will be up to his/her discretion.
Yes. Contact your Research Advisor and arrange the best way to conduct the review. Forms may be submitted via e-mail. Contact the Staff Grad Advisor if you have questions.
Yes. Meet with them separately or together (submit two signed progress review forms or one form with both of their signatures). This is a perfect opportunity to bring both advisors up to date on your progress and receive direction for the future.
|EECS Graduate Student Affairs|