Online Application Instructions
The online application is due October 15, 2012, at 11:59:59pm, Pacific Standard Time.
- Please fill the online application following the guidelines at http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Gradadm/RequiredData.htm.
- Please follow the Letter of Recommendation instructions in the online application
- The GRE exam is not required for the 5th Year M.S. Program. However, if you are not chosen for the 5th Year M.S. Program and would like to be considered for the regular M.S or Ph.D program, you must submit GRE scores by January 3, 2013 at 11:59pm Pacific Standard Time.
- We do not need fellowship information
- Apply for Fall 2013 regardless of when you actually plan to start the program.
- Letter of Recommendation Process:
Do not send hardcopies or have them sent. Please follow the online recommendation instructions in the online application. Recommendation letters can be submitted directly by the recommenders or through a service called Interfolio. Applicants can request their recommenders to submit their letters to Interfolio, which then submits them to Berkeley and other universities to which you have applied. This reduces the effort by the recommenders, who only have to submit their letters once to Interfolio.
Recommendation letters should arrive no later than October 15, 2012, at 11:59:59pm, Pacific Standard TimeRecommendation Letter Tips:
- Having more than 3 letters, though we allow it, is not recommended. Due to the volume of applications we receive every year, there is no guarantee that more than 3 letters will be read. Three strong letters is much better than 3 strong letters and one mediocre or bad letter.
- It can be a good idea to ask your recommenders if they can write you a good, detailed letter. You would be suprised at the number of mediocre or nondescriptive letters we receive every year. A one-two sentence letter is probably not going to help your cause. The best letters gauge your ability and potential for research and graduate study, often citing examples from the recommenders own experiences with you.
When you reach the Proposed Degree Program Page
- Indicate that you would like to apply to Fall 2013, regardless of when you would like to start the program
- Choose M.S. from the Degree Program page at the beginning of the online application. Choose Computer Science (M.S.) if your area of interest lies under Computer Science or EE & Computer Science (M.S.) if your area of interest lies under Electrical Engineering.
- Fill out the 5th Year M.S. page on the Application Sections column on the left side of the screen.
- For your First and Second Preferences choose research areas from the preferences drop down menu. For more information on each of the areas and their subareas, please see Research Areas.
- Under 3rd Preference please write in your Proposed Breadth Area