Ming C. Wu
Ming C. Wu is Nortel Distinguished Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences. He is also Co-Director of Berkeley Sensor and Actuator Center (BSAC) and Faculty Director of Berkeley Microfabrication Laboratory.
Dr. Wu received his B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from National Taiwan University, and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences from the University of California, Berkeley in 1985 and 1988, respectively. From 1988 to 1992, he was a Member of Technical Staff at AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, New Jersey. From 1992 to 2004, he was a professor in the Electrical Engineering department at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). He has been a faculty member at Berkeley since 2004. His research interests include MEMS (micro-electro-mechanical systems), MOEMS, semiconductor optoelectronics, nanophotonics, and optofluidics. He has published 7 book chapters, over 220 journal papers and 350 conference papers. He is the holder of 23 U.S. patents. Prof. Wu is a Fellow of IEEE, a Packard Foundation Fellow (1992-1997). He received the 2007 Paul F. Forman Engineering Excellence Award from Optical Society of America.
- J. K. Valley, P. Swinton, W. J. Boscardin, T. F. Lue, P. F. Rinaudo, M. C. Wu, and M. M. Garcia, "Preimplantation Mouse Embryo Selection Guided by Light-Induced Dielectrophoresis," PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. e10160, April 2010.
- K. Yu, A. Lakhani, and M. C. Wu, "Subwavelength metal-optic semiconductor nanopatch lasers," Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 8790--8799, April 2010.
- Z. Fan, H. Razavi, J. Do, A. Moriwaki, O. Ergen, Y. Chueh, P. W. Leu, J. C. Ho, T. Takahashi, L. A. Reichertz, S. Neale, K. Yu, M. C. Wu, J. W. Ager, and A. Javey, "Three-dimensional nanopillar-array photovoltaics on low-cost and flexible substrates," Nature Materials, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 648-653, Aug. 2009.
- P. Y. Chiou, A. T. Ohta, A. Jamshidi, H. Y. Hsu, and M. C. Wu, "Light-Actuated AC Electroosmosis for Nanoparticle Manipulation," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 525-531, June 2008.
- E. K. Lau, X. Zhao, H. Sung, D. Parekh, C. Chang-Hasnain, and M. C. Wu, "Strong optical injection-locked semiconductor lasers demonstrating > 100-GHz resonance frequencies and 80-GHz intrinsic bandwidths," Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 6609-6618, April 2008.
- A. Jamshidi, P. J. Pauzauskie, P. J. Schuck, A. T. Ohta, P. Chiou, J. Chou, P. Yang, and M. C. Wu, "Dynamic manipulation and separation of individual semiconducting and metallic nanowires," Nature Photonics, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 86-89, Feb. 2008.
- P. Y. Chiou, Z. H. Chang, and M. C. Wu, "Droplet manipulation with light on optoelectrowetting device," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 133-138, Feb. 2008.
- E. K. Lau, H. K. Sung, and M. C. Wu, "Frequency Response Enhancement of Optical Injection-Locked Lasers," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 90-99, Jan. 2008.
- J. Yao, D. Leuenberger, M. C. Lee, and M. C. Wu, "Silicon microtoroidal resonators with integrated MEMS tunable coupler," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 202-8, 2007.
- A. T. Ohta, P. Y. Chiou, T. H. Han, J. C. Liao, U. Bhardwaj, E. R. B. McCabe, F. Yu, R. Sun, and M. C. Wu, "Dynamic Cell and Microparticle Control via Optoelectronic Tweezers," Microelectromechanical Systems, Journal of, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 491-499, June 2007.
- A. D. Aguirre, P. R. Hertz, Y. Chen, J. G. Fujimoto, W. Piyawattanametha, L. Fan, and M. C. Wu, "Two-axis MEMS scanning catheter for ultrahigh resolution three-dimensional and en face imaging," Optics Express, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 2445-2453, March 2007.
- A. T. Ohta, P. Chiou, H. L. Phan, S. W. Sherwood, J. M. Yang, A. N. K. Lau, H. Hsu, A. Jamshidi, and M. C. Wu, "Optically controlled cell discrimination and trapping using optoelectronic tweezers (Invited Paper)," IEEE J. Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 235-243, March 2007.
- M. C. Wu, O. Solgaard, and J. E. Ford, "Optical MEMS for lightwave communication (Invited Paper)," J. Lightwave Technology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 4433-4454, Dec. 2006.
- M. M. Lee and M. C. Wu, "Variable bandwidth of dynamic add-drop filters based on coupling-controlled microdisk resonators," Optics Letters, vol. 31, no. 16, pp. 2444-2446, July 2006.
- M. M. Lee and M. C. Wu, "Tunable coupling regimes of silicon microdisk resonators using MEMS actuators," Optics Express, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 4703-4712, May 2006.
- M. M. Lee and M. C. Wu, "Thermal annealing in hydrogen for 3-D profile transformation on silicon-on-insulator and sidewall roughness reduction," IEEE/ASME J. Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 338-343, April 2006.
- M. M. Lee, D. Hah, E. K. Lau, H. Toshiyoshi, and M. C. Wu, "MEMS-actuated photonic crystal switches," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 358-, Jan. 2006.
- P. Y. Chiou, A. T. Ohta, and M. C. Wu, "Massively parallel manipulation of single cells and microparticles using optical images," Nature, vol. 436, no. 7049, pp. 370-372, July 2005.