He received his Bachelor's degree in Mathematics from University of Waterloo, and his Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), for which he was awarded the George M. Sprowls Prize from the MIT EECS department, 2002. He joined the faculty at UC Berkeley in Fall 2004, with a joint appointment between the Department of Statistics and the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences.
He has received an NSF-CAREER Award (2006), an Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Research Fellowship (2005), an Okawa Research Grant in Information and Telecommunications (2005), the 1967 Fellowship from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (1996--2000), and several outstanding conference paper awards.
- R. Rajagopal, M. Wainwright, and P. Varaiya, "Universal quantile estimation with feedback in the communication-constrained setting," in Proc. 2006 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT 2006), Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2006, pp. 836-840.
- X. Nguyen, M. Wainwright, and M. Jordan, "Nonparametric decentralized detection using kernel methods," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 4053-4066, Nov. 2005.
- M. Wainwright, T. S. Jaakkola, and A. S. Willsky, "A new class of upper bounds on the log partition function," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 2313-2335, July 2005.
- J. Feldman, M. Wainwright, and D. R. Karger, "Using linear programming to decode binary linear codes," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 954-972, March 2005.
- M. Wainwright, T. Jaakkola, and A. Willsky, "Tree consistency and bounds on the performance of the max-product algorithm and its generalizations," Statistics and Computing, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 143-166, April 2004.
- J. Portilla, V. Strela, M. Wainwright, and E. P. Simoncelli, "Image denoising using scale mixtures of Gaussians in the wavelet domain," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1338-1351, Nov. 2003.