Martin Wainwright is currently a professor at University of California at Berkeley, with a joint appointment between the Department of Statistics and the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences (EECS). He received a Bachelor's degree in Mathematics from University of Waterloo, Canada, and Ph.D. degree in EECS from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). His research interests include high-dimensional statistics, information theory, statistical machine learning, and optimization theory. He has been awarded an Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Fellowship (2005), Best Paper Awards from the IEEE Signal Processing Society (2008), and IEEE Communications Society (2010); the Joint Paper Prize (2012) from IEEE Information Theory and Communication Societies; a Medallion Lectureship (2013) from the Institute of Mathematical Statistics; a Section Lecturer at the International Congress of Mathematicians (2014); and the COPSS Presidents' Award (2014) from the Joint Statistical Societies.
- N. Shah, S. Balakrishnan, A. Guntuboyina, and M. Wainwright, "Stochastically Transitive Models for Pairwise Comparisons: Statistical and Computational Issues," UC Berkeley, 2015.
- N. Shah and M. Wainwright, "Simple, Robust and Optimal Ranking from Pairwise Comparisons," UC Berkeley, Dec. 2015.
- N. Shah, S. Balakrishnan, B. Joseph, A. Parekh, K. Ramchandran, and M. Wainwright, "Estimation from Pairwise Comparisons: Sharp Minimax Bounds with Topology Dependence," in AISTATS, San Diego, May 2015, 2015.
- R. Rajagopal, M. Wainwright, and P. Varaiya, "Universal quantile estimation with feedback in the communication-constrained setting," in Proc. 2006 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT 2006), Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2006, pp. 836-840.
- X. Nguyen, M. Wainwright, and M. Jordan, "Nonparametric decentralized detection using kernel methods," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 4053-4066, Nov. 2005.
- M. Wainwright, T. S. Jaakkola, and A. S. Willsky, "A new class of upper bounds on the log partition function," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 2313-2335, July 2005.
- J. Feldman, M. Wainwright, and D. R. Karger, "Using linear programming to decode binary linear codes," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 954-972, March 2005.
- M. Wainwright, T. Jaakkola, and A. Willsky, "Tree consistency and bounds on the performance of the max-product algorithm and its generalizations," Statistics and Computing, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 143-166, April 2004.
- J. Portilla, V. Strela, M. Wainwright, and E. P. Simoncelli, "Image denoising using scale mixtures of Gaussians in the wavelet domain," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1338-1351, Nov. 2003.