He received his B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Louisiana State University, 1994, and his M.S. and PhD in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University in 1996 and 1998 respectively.
Dr. Subramanian co-founded Matrix Semiconductor, Inc. in 1998. He joined the EECS faculty in 2000 and is currently a Professor. He has authored or co-authored more than 200 research publications and patents.
Dr. Subramanian is a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) and has served on the technical committee for the Device Research Conference and the technical and executive committees for the International Electron Device Meeting. In 2002, he was nominated to Technology Review's list of top 100 young innovators (the TR100). In 2003, he was nominated to the National Academy of Engineering's "Frontiers of Engineering", and was awarded a National Science Foundation Young Investigator Award (CAREER). He received the EE Department Outstanding Teaching Award in 2006.
- 1998, PhD, Electrical Engineering, Stanford University
- 1996, MS, Electrical Engineering, Stanford University
- 1994, BS, Electrical Engineering, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge
- W. J. Scheideler, J. Jang, M. A. U. Karim, R. Kitsomboonloha, A. Zeumault, and V. Subramanian, "Gravure-Printed Sol–Gels on Flexible Glass: A Scalable Route to Additively Patterned Transparent Conductors," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 7, no. 23, pp. 12679-12687, 2015.
- W. J. Scheideler, A. Zeumault, and V. Subramanian, "Engineering high-k LaxZr1-xOy dielectrics for high-performance fully-solution-processed transparent transistors," in Device Research Conference (DRC), 2015 73rd Annual, 2015, pp. 205-206.
- Y. Chen, E. S. Park, I. Chen, L. Hutin, V. Subramanian, and T. King Liu, "Micro-relay reliability improvement by inkjet-printed microshell encapsulation," in Transducers & Eurosensors XXVII: The 17th International Conference on Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems (TRANSDUCERS & EUROSENSORS XXVII), 2013, pp. 1974 - 1977.
- J. Jang, R. Kitsomboonloha, S. Swisher, E. S. Park, H. Kang, and V. Subramanian, "Transparent High-Performance Thin Film Transistors from Solution-Processed SnO2/ZrO2 Gel-like Precursors," Advanced Materials, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1042, Feb. 2013.
- J. Jang, F. Pan, K. Braam, and V. Subramanian, "Resistance Switching Characteristics of Solid Electrolyte Chalcogenide Ag2Se Nanoparticles for Flexible Nonvolatile Memory Applications," Advanced Materials, July 2012.
- H. Kang, R. Kitsomboonloha, J. Jang, and V. Subramanian, "High-Performance Printed Transistors Realized Using Femtoliter Gravure-Printed Sub-10 μm Metallic Nanoparticle Patterns and Highly Uniform Polymer Dielectric and Semiconductor Layers," Advanced Materials, June 2012.
- D. Redinger and V. Subramanian, "High-Performance Chemical-Bath-Deposited Zinc Oxide Thin-Film Transistors," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 1301-7, June 2007.
- Q. Zhang and V. Subramanian, "DNA hybridization detection with organic thin film transistors: Toward fast and disposable DNA microarray chips," Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 2007, no. 12, pp. 3182-87, June 2007.
- B. A. Mattis and V. Subramanian, "Stacked low-power field-programmable antifuse memories for RFID on plastic," in 2006 Intl. Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM '06) Technical Digest, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2006, pp. 4 pg.
- J. Chang, V. Liu, V. Subramanian, K. Sivula, C. Luscombe, A. Murphy, J. Liu, and J. Frechet, "Printable polythiophene gas sensor array for low-cost electronic noses," Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 014506-511, July 2006.
- J. Chang and V. Subramanian, "Effect of active layer thickness on bias stress effect in pentacene thin-film transistors," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 88, no. 23, pp. 233513-5, June 2006.
- P. Chang, S. Molesa, A. Murphy, J. Frechet, and V. Subramanian, "Inkjetted Crystalline Single-Monolayer Oligothiophene OTFTs," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 594-600, April 2006.
- V. Subramanian, P. Chang, J. Lee, S. Molesa, and S. Volkman, "Printed organic transistors for ultra-low-cost RFID applications," IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 742-747, Dec. 2005.
- A. Murphy, P. Chang, P. VanDyke, J. Liu, J. Frechet, V. Subramanian, D. DeLongChamp, S. Sambasivan, D. Fischer, and E. Lin, "Self-Assembly, Molecular Ordering, and Charge Mobility in Solution-Processed Ultrathin Oligothiophene Films," Chemistry of Materials, vol. 17, no. 24, pp. 6033-6041, Dec. 2005.
- D. DeLongChamp, S. Sambasivan, D. Fischer, E. Lin, P. Chang, A. Murphy, J. Frechet, and V. Subramanian, "Direct correlation of organic semiconductor film structure to field-effect mobility," Advanced Materials, vol. 17, no. 19, pp. 2340-44, Sep. 2005.
- J. Lee, P. Chang, J. A. Liddle, and V. Subramanian, "10-nm channel length pentacene transistors," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 1874-1879, Aug. 2005.
- V. Subramanian, J. Frechet, P. Chang, D. C. Huang, J. Lee, S. Molesa, A. Murphy, D. Redinger, and S. Volkman, "Progress towards development of all-printed RFID tags: Materials, Processes, and Devices," Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 93, no. 7, pp. 1330-38, July 2005.
- F. J. Liao, C. Chen, and V. Subramanian, "Organic TFTs as gas sensors for electronic nose applications," Sensors and Actuators B (Chemical), vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 849-55, June 2005.
- J. Lee and V. Subramanian, "Weave Patterned Organic Transistors on Fiber for E-Textiles," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 269-275, Feb. 2005.
- S. Volkman, S. Molesa, J. Lee, B. Mattis, A. De la Fuente Vornbrock, T. T. Bakhishev, and V. Subramanian, "A novel transparent air-stable printable n-type semiconductor technology using ZnO nanoparticles," in 2004 International Electron Device Meeting Technical Digest, 2004, pp. 769-773.