Alan J. Smith
He received his S. B. from MIT and a Ph.D. Stanford University.
- Harry Goode Award of the IEEE Computer Society, 2006, for outstanding contribution to the information processing field, citation reads: "For leadership in the measurement and evaluation of cache and memory system performance."
- 2008 IEEE Reynold B. Johnson Information Storage Systems Award "for contributions to the performance analysis of computer storage systems, including improvements to disk caches, prefetching and data placement."
- A. A. Michelson Award of the Computer Measurement Group (CMG), 2003.
The award is given as a lifetime achievement award for making significant, lasting contributions to the field of computer measurement and performance.
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2001.
- Fellow of the ACM, 2000.
- Fellow, IEEE, 1988.
- W. W. Hsu, A. J. Smith, and H. C. Young, "The automatic improvement of locality in storage systems," ACM Trans. Computer Systems, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 424-423, Nov. 2005.
- J. R. Lorch and A. J. Smith, "PACE: A new approach to dynamic voltage scaling," IEEE Trans. Computers, vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 856-869, July 2004.
- W. W. S. Hsu and A. J. Smith, "The performance effect of I/O optimizations and disk improvements," IBM J. Research and Development, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 255-289, March 2004.
- N. T. Slingerland and A. J. Smith, "Measuring the performance of multimedia instruction sets," IEEE Trans. Computers, vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 1317-1332, Nov. 2002.
- W. W. S. Hsu and A. J. Smith, "I/O reference behavior of production database workloads and the TPC benchmarks -- An analysis at the logical level," ACM Trans. Database Systems, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 96-143, March 2001.
- J. R. Lorch and A. J. Smith, "Scheduling techniques for reducing processor energy use in MacOS," Wireless Networks, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 311-324, Oct. 1997.
- R. H. Saavedra and A. J. Smith, "Analysis of benchmark characteristics and benchmark performance prediction," ACM Trans. Computer Systems, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 344-384, Nov. 1996.
- R. H. Saavedra and A. J. Smith, "Performance characterization of optimizing compilers," IEEE Trans. Software Engineering, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 615-628, July 1995.
- A. J. Smith, "The task of the referee," IEEE Computer, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 65-71, April 1990.
- P. Sweazey and A. J. Smith, "A class of compatible cache consistency protocols and their support by the IEEE Futurebus," ACM SIGARCH Computer Architecture News, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 414-423, June 1986.
- A. J. Smith, "Disk cache -- Miss ratio analysis and design considerations," ACM Trans. Computer Systems, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 161-203, Aug. 1985.
- J. F. K. Lee and A. J. Smith, "Branch prediction strategies and branch target buffer design," IEEE Computer, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 6-22, Jan. 1984.
- A. J. Smith, "Cache memories," ACM Computing Surveys, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 473-530, Sep. 1982.
- A. J. Smith, "Long term file migration: Development and evaluation of algorithms," Communications of the ACM, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 521-532, Aug. 1981.
- A. J. Smith, "An analytic and experimental study of multiple channel controllers," IEEE Trans. Computers, vol. C-27, no. 1, pp. 38-49, Jan. 1979.
- A. J. Smith, "Sequentiality and prefetching in database systems," ACM Trans. Database Systems, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 223-247, Sep. 1978.
- A. J. Smith, "A modified working set paging algorithm," IEEE Trans. Computers, vol. C-25, no. 9, pp. 907-914, Sep. 1976.
- F. Baskett and A. J. Smith, "Interference in multiprocessor computer systems with interleaved memory," Communications of the ACM, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 327-334, June 1976.