He obtained his B.Sc. in Physics and Computing Science from Simon Fraser University, 1990, and a M.S. and Ph.D. in Computer Science from Carnegie Mellon University, the latter in 1997. He joined the Computer Science Division of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences at UC Berkeley in 1998.
- J. Shewchuk, "Unstructured Mesh Generation," in Combinatorial Scientific Computing, Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press, 2012, pp. 257--297.
- F. Hecht, Y. J. Lee, J. Shewchuk, and J. O'Brien, "Updated Sparse Cholesky Factors for Corotational Elastodynamics," ACM Transactions on Graphics, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. X:1--13, Oct. 2012.
- J. Shewchuk, "General-dimensional constrained Delaunay triangulations and constrained regular triangulations I: Combinatorial properties," Discrete & Computational Geometry, vol. 39, no. 1-3, pp. 580-637, March 2008.
- J. Shewchuk, "Star splaying: An algorithm for repairing Delaunay triangulations and convex hulls," in Proc. 21st Annual Symp. on Computational Geometry, New York, NY: ACM Press, 2005, pp. 237-246.
- C. Shen, J. O'Brien, and J. Shewchuk, "Interpolating and approximating implicit surfaces from polygon soup," ACM Trans. Graphics: Special Issue on the Proc. ACM SIGGRAPH 2004, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 896-904, Aug. 2004.
- F. Labelle and J. Shewchuk, "Anisotropic Voronoi diagrams and guaranteed-quality anisotropic mesh generation," in Proc. 19th Annual Symp. on Computational Geometry, New York, NY: ACM Press, 2003, pp. 191-200.
- J. Shewchuk, "Triangle: Engineering a 2D quality mesh generator and Delaunay triangulator," in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, M. C. Lin and D. Manocha, Eds., Vol. 1148, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1996, pp. 203-222.