Scott Shenker spent his academic youth studying theoretical physics but soon gave up chaos theory for computer science. Continuing to display a remarkably short attention span, his research over the years has wandered from performance modeling and networking to game theory and economics. Unable to focus on any single topic, his current research projects include software-defined networking, network function virtualization, network algorithms and protocols, cluster programming models, and Internet architecture. Unable to hold a steady job, he currently splits his time between the UC Berkeley Computer Science Division and the International Computer Science Institute.
- H. Li, A. Ghodsi, M. Zaharia, S. Shenker, and I. Stoica, "Tachyon: Reliable, Memory Speed Storage for Cluster Computing Frameworks," in ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing, 2014.
- M. Zaharia, T. Das, H. Li, T. Hunter, S. Shenker, and I. Stoica, "Discretized Streams: Fault-Tolerant Streaming Computation at Scale," in ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, 2013.
- R. S. Xin, J. Rosen, M. Zaharia, M. Franklin, S. Shenker, and I. Stoica, "Shark: SQL and Rich Analytics at Scale," EECS Department, University of California, Berkeley, Tech. Rep. UCB/EECS-2012-214, Nov. 2012.
- J. Feigenbaum and S. Shenker, "Distributed algorithmic mechanism design: Recent results and future directions," in Proc. 6th Intl. Workshop on Discrete Algorithms and Methods for Mobile Computing and Communications, New York, NY: ACM Press, 2002, pp. 1-13.
- S. Ratnasamy, P. Francis, M. Handley, R. M. Karp, and S. Shenker, "A scalable content-addressable network," in Proc. ACM SIGCOMM 2001 Conf.: Applications, Technologies, Architectures, and Protocols for Computer Communications, New York, NY: The Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 2001, pp. 161-172.
- R. Braden, D. Clark, and S. Shenker, "Integrated Services in the Internet Architecture: An Overview," Internet Engineering Task Force, Tech. Rep. RFC 1633, June 1994.
- A. Demers, S. Keshav, and S. Shenker, "Analysis and simulation of a fair queueing algorithm," in Proc. SIGCOMM '89 Symp. on Communications Architectures and Protocols, New York, NY: ACM Press, 1989, pp. 1-12.
- A. Demers, D. Greene, C. Hauser, W. Irish, J. Larson, S. Shenker, H. Sturgis, D. Swinehart, and D. Terry, "Epidemic algorithms for replicated database maintenance," in Proc. 6th Annual ACM Symp. on Principles of Distributed Computing, F. B. Schneider, Ed., New York, NY: ACM Press, 1987, pp. 1-12.