Alberto L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli
Alberto Sangiovanni Vincentelli is the Edgar L. and Harold H. Buttner Chair of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences at the University of California at Berkeley. In 1980-1981, he was a Visiting Scientist at the Mathematical Sciences Department of the IBM T.J. Watson Research Center. In 1987, he was Visiting Professor at MIT. He is an author of over 800 papers, 17 books and 2 patents in the area of design tools and methodologies, large scale systems, embedded systems, hybrid systems and innovation. He was a co-founder of Cadence and Synopsys, the two leading companies in the area of Electronic Design Automation and the founder and Scientific Director of the PARADES Research Center in Rome.
Board Participation: • Public Companies: He has been a member of the Board of Directors of Cadence and of KPIT-Cummins. • Privately Held Companies: He is a member of the Board of Directors of Sonics, and of Expert Systems. • Advisory Boards: He had been a member of the ST microelectronics Advisory Board for 10 years. He was a member of the HP Strategic Technology Advisory Board (2005-2007), a member of the Science and Technology Advisory Board of General Motors (2003-2013), and is a member of the Technology Advisory Council of United Technologies Corporation (2005-present). He is a member of the Advisory Board of Innogest, Xseed and a member of the Investment Committee of Atlante Ventures and Fondo Next. Since January 2013, he is the President of the Strategic Committee of the Italian Strategic Fund. He is member of the Scientific Council of the Italian National Science Foundation (CNR). Since February 2010, he has been a member of the Executive Committee of the Italian Institute of Technology. Since July 2012, he has been named Chairperson of the Comitato Nazionale Garanti per la Ricerca.
Honors: • Teaching: In 1981, he received the Distinguished Teaching Award of the University of California. He received the worldwide 1995 Graduate Teaching Award of the IEEE for “inspirational teaching of graduate students”. In 2002, he was the recipient of the Aristotle Award of the Semiconductor Research Corporation.
• Research: He received numerous research awards including the Guillemin-Cauer Award (1982-1983), the Darlington Award (1987-1988) of the IEEE for the best paper bridging theory and applications, and two awards for the best paper published in the IEEE Transactions on CAS and CAD, five best paper awards and one best presentation awards at the Design Automation Conference, the best paper award at the International Conference on CyberPhysical Systems, other best paper awards at the Real-Time Systems Symposium, and the VLSI Conference.
Major Honors • In 2001, he was given the Kaufman Award of the Electronic Design Automation Council for “pioneering contributions to EDA”. • In 2008, he was awarded the IEEE/RSE Wolfson James Clerk Maxwell Medal “for groundbreaking contributions that have had an exceptional impact on the development of electronics and electrical engineering or related fields” with the following citation: “For pioneering innovation and leadership in electronic design automation that have enabled the design of modern electronics systems and their industrial implementation” • In 2009, he received the first ACM/IEEE A. Richard Newton Technical Impact Award in Electronic Design Automation to honor persons for an outstanding technical contribution within the scope of electronic design automation. • In 2012, he received the Lifetime Achievement Award from EDAA. • He has been a Fellow of the IEEE since 1982 and a Member of the National Academy of Engineering, the highest honor bestowed upon a US engineer, since 1998.
Honorary Degrees: In 2009, he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate by the combined EE and CS departments of the University of Aalborg in Denmark. In 2012, he was given an Honorary Doctorate from KTH in Sweden.
- P. Nuzzo, C. Nani, C. Armiento, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, J. Craninckx, and G. Van der Plas, "A 6-bit 50-MS/s Threshold Configuring SAR ADC in 90-nm Digital CMOS," in Proc. VLSI Symposium on Circuits, 2009, pp. 238-239.
- A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Quo vadis, SLD? Reasoning about the trends and challenges of system level design (Invited Paper)," Proc. IEEE, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 467-506, March 2007.
- L. Carloni, R. Passerone, A. Pinto, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Languages and tools for hybrid systems design," Foundations and Trends in Electronic Design automations, vol. 1, no. 1/2, pp. 1-193, June 2006.
- A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli and A. Pinto, "An overview of embedded system design education at Berkeley," ACM Trans. Embedded Computing Systems, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 472-499, Aug. 2005.
- L. Carloni, F. De Bernardinis, C. Pinello, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, and M. Sgroi, "Platform-based design for embedded systems," in The Embedded Systems Handbook, R. Zurawski, Ed., Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2005, pp. 1-26.
- W. Zheng, J. Chong, C. Pinello, S. Kanajan, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Extensible and Scalable Time Triggered Scheduling," in Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Application of Concurrency to System Design, 2005.
- A. Benveniste, B. Caillaud, L. P. Carloni, P. Caspi, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Causality and scheduling constraints in heterogeneous reactive systems modeling," in Formal Methods for Components and Objects: Proc. 2nd Intl. Symp. (FMCO 2003), F. S. de Boer, M. M. Bonsangue, S. Graf, and W. P. de Roever, Eds., Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 3188, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2004, pp. 1-16.
- S. P. Khatri, S. Sinha, R. K. Brayton, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "SPFD-based wire removal in standard-cell and network-of-PLA circuits," IEEE Trans. Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1020-1030, July 2004.
- A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Electronic-system design in the automobile industry," IEEE Micro, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 8-18, May 2003.
- F. Balarin, Y. Watanabe, H. Hsieh, L. Lavagno, C. Passerone, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Metropolis: An integrated electronic system design environment," IEEE Computer, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 45-52, April 2003.
- M. Baleani, F. Gennari, Y. Jiang, Y. Patel, R. K. Brayton, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "HW/SW Partitioning and Code Generation of Embedded Control Applications on a Reconfigurable Architecture Platform," in Proceedings of the tenth international symposium on Hardware/software codesign, 2002.
- A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli and G. Martin, "Platform-based design and software design methodology for embedded systems," IEEE Design & Test of Computers, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 23-33, Nov. 2001.
- L. P. Carloni, K. L. McMillan, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Theory of latency-insensitive design," IEEE Trans. Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1059-1076, Sep. 2001.
- K. Keutzer, S. Malik, A. R. Newton, J. M. Rabaey, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Invited Paper: System-level design: Orthogonalization of concerns and platform-based design," IEEE Trans. Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1523-1543, Dec. 2000.
- A. Balluchi, L. Benvenuti, M. D. Di Benedetto, C. Pinello, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Invited Paper: Automotive engine control and hybrid systems: Challenges and opportunities," Proc. IEEE: Special Issue on Hybrid Systems, vol. 88, no. 7, pp. 888-912, July 2000.
- F. Balarin, M. Chiodo, P. Giusto, H. Hsieh, A. Jurecska, L. Lavagno, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, E. M. Sentovich, and K. Suzuki, "Synthesis of software programs for embedded control applications," IEEE Trans. Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 834-849, June 1999.
- E. A. Lee and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "A framework for comparing models of computation," IEEE Trans. Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1217-1229, Dec. 1998.
- F. Balarin, M. Chiodo, P. Giusto, H. Hsieh, A. Jurecska, L. Lavagno, C. Passerone, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, E. Sentovich, K. Suzuki, and B. Tabbara, Hardware-Software Co-Design of Embedded Systems: The POLIS Approach, The Kluwer International Series In Engineering And Computer Science, Vol. 404, Boston, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.
- H. Chang, E. Charbon, U. Choudhury, A. Demir, E. Felt, E. Liu, E. Malavasi, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, and I. Vassiliou, A Top-Down, Constraint-Driven Design Methodology for Analog Integrated Circuits, Boston, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.
- S. Edwards, L. Lavagno, E. A. Lee, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Design of embedded systems: Formal models, validation, and synthesis," Proc. IEEE, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 366-390, March 1997.