Alberto L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli
- CS 149. Introduction to Embedded Systems, TuTh 11:00A-12:30P, 105 North Gate
- CS C249A. Introduction to Embedded Systems, TuTh 11:00A-12:30P, 105 North Gate
- EE 149. Introduction to Embedded Systems, TuTh 11-12:30P, 105 North Gate
- EE 249A. Embedded System Design: Models, Validation, and Synthesis, TuTh 11-12:30P, 105 North Gate
Alberto Sangiovanni Vincentelli holds the Edgar L. and Harold H. Buttner Chair of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences at the University of California at Berkeley, where he has been on the Faculty since 1976. He obtained an electrical engineering and computer science degree ("Dottore in Ingegneria") summa cum laude from the Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy in 1971. In 1980-1981, he spent a year as a Visiting Scientist at the Mathematical Sciences Department of the IBM T.J. Watson Research Center. In 1987, he was Visiting Professor at MIT. He has held a number of visiting professor positions at Italian Universities. He was a co-founder of Cadence and Synopsys, the two leading companies in the area of Electronic Design Automation. He is the Chief Technology Adviser of Cadence. He is a member of the Board of Directors of Cadence, Softface, Sonics, and Accent, a ST Microelectronics-Cadence joint venture he helped founding. He is a member of the HP Strategic Technology Advisory Board. He has consulted for a number of US companies including IBM, Intel, ATT, GE, Harris, Nynex, HP, Japanese companies including Kawasaki Steel, where he held the title of Chief Technology Advisor, Fujitsu, Sony and Hitachi, and European companies including ST Microelectronics, Alcatel, Daimler-Chrysler, Ericsson, Magneti-Marelli, BMW, Bull. He was an advisor to the Singapore Government for microelectronics and new ventures. He is the founder and Scientific Director of PARADES, a European Group of Economic Interest supported by Cadence, Magneti- Marelli and ST Microelectronics. He is a member of the Advisory Board of the Lester Center for Innovation of the Haas School of Business and of the Center for Western European Studies and a member of the Berkeley Roundtable of the International Economy (BRIE). In 1981, he received the Distinguished Teaching Award of the University of California. He received the worldwide 1995 Graduate Teaching Award of the IEEE (a Technical Field award for "inspirational teaching of graduate students"). In 2002, he was the recipient of the Aristotle Award of the Semiconductor Research Corporation. He has received numerous awards including the Guillemin-Cauer Award (1982-1983), the Darlington Award (1987-1988) of the IEEE for the best paper bridging theory and applications, and two best paper awards for the best paper published in the Transactions on CAS and CAD, three best paper awards and one best presentation awards at the Design Automation Conference. In 2001, he was given the prestigious Kaufman Award of the Electronic Design Automation Council for pioneering contributions to EDA. He is an author of over 600 papers and fifteen books in the area of design tools and methodologies, large-scale systems, embedded controllers, and hybrid systems. Dr. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli has been a Fellow of the IEEE since 1982 and a Member of the National Academy of Engineering, since 1998. Dr. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli was the Technical Program Chairperson of the International Conference on CAD and his General Chair. He was the Executive Vice-President of the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society. In 1999, he was awarded the CASS Golden Jubilee Medals.
- P. Nuzzo, C. Nani, C. Armiento, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, J. Craninckx, and G. Van der Plas, "A 6-bit 50-MS/s Threshold Configuring SAR ADC in 90-nm Digital CMOS," in Proc. VLSI Symposium on Circuits, 2009, pp. 238-239.
- A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Quo vadis, SLD? Reasoning about the trends and challenges of system level design (Invited Paper)," Proc. IEEE, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 467-506, March 2007.
- L. Carloni, R. Passerone, A. Pinto, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Languages and tools for hybrid systems design," Foundations and Trends in Electronic Design automations, vol. 1, no. 1/2, pp. 1-193, June 2006.
- A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli and A. Pinto, "An overview of embedded system design education at Berkeley," ACM Trans. Embedded Computing Systems, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 472-499, Aug. 2005.
- L. Carloni, F. De Bernardinis, C. Pinello, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, and M. Sgroi, "Platform-based design for embedded systems," in The Embedded Systems Handbook, R. Zurawski, Ed., Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2005, pp. 1-26.
- W. Zheng, J. Chong, C. Pinello, S. Kanajan, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Extensible and Scalable Time Triggered Scheduling," in Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Application of Concurrency to System Design, 2005.
- A. Benveniste, B. Caillaud, L. P. Carloni, P. Caspi, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Causality and scheduling constraints in heterogeneous reactive systems modeling," in Formal Methods for Components and Objects: Proc. 2nd Intl. Symp. (FMCO 2003), F. S. de Boer, M. M. Bonsangue, S. Graf, and W. P. de Roever, Eds., Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 3188, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2004, pp. 1-16.
- S. P. Khatri, S. Sinha, R. K. Brayton, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "SPFD-based wire removal in standard-cell and network-of-PLA circuits," IEEE Trans. Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1020-1030, July 2004.
- A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Electronic-system design in the automobile industry," IEEE Micro, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 8-18, May 2003.
- F. Balarin, Y. Watanabe, H. Hsieh, L. Lavagno, C. Passerone, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Metropolis: An integrated electronic system design environment," IEEE Computer, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 45-52, April 2003.
- M. Baleani, F. Gennari, Y. Jiang, Y. Patel, R. K. Brayton, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "HW/SW Partitioning and Code Generation of Embedded Control Applica- tions on a Reconfigurable Architecture Platform," in Proceedings of the tenth international symposium on Hardware/software codesign, 2002.
- A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli and G. Martin, "Platform-based design and software design methodology for embedded systems," IEEE Design & Test of Computers, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 23-33, Nov. 2001.
- L. P. Carloni, K. L. McMillan, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Theory of latency-insensitive design," IEEE Trans. Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1059-1076, Sep. 2001.
- K. Keutzer, S. Malik, A. R. Newton, J. M. Rabaey, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Invited Paper: System-level design: Orthogonalization of concerns and platform-based design," IEEE Trans. Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1523-1543, Dec. 2000.
- A. Balluchi, L. Benvenuti, M. D. Di Benedetto, C. Pinello, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Invited Paper: Automotive engine control and hybrid systems: Challenges and opportunities," Proc. IEEE: Special Issue on Hybrid Systems, vol. 88, no. 7, pp. 888-912, July 2000.
- F. Balarin, M. Chiodo, P. Giusto, H. Hsieh, A. Jurecska, L. Lavagno, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, E. M. Sentovich, and K. Suzuki, "Synthesis of software programs for embedded control applications," IEEE Trans. Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 834-849, June 1999.
- E. A. Lee and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "A framework for comparing models of computation," IEEE Trans. Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1217-1229, Dec. 1998.
- F. Balarin, M. Chiodo, P. Giusto, H. Hsieh, A. Jurecska, L. Lavagno, C. Passerone, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, E. Sentovich, K. Suzuki, and B. Tabbara, Hardware-Software Co-Design of Embedded Systems: The POLIS Approach, The Kluwer International Series In Engineering And Computer Science, Vol. 404, Boston, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.
- H. Chang, E. Charbon, U. Choudhury, A. Demir, E. Felt, E. Liu, E. Malavasi, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, and I. Vassiliou, A Top-Down, Constraint-Driven Design Methodology for Analog Integrated Circuits, Boston, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.
- S. Edwards, L. Lavagno, E. A. Lee, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Design of embedded systems: Formal models, validation, and synthesis," Proc. IEEE, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 366-390, March 1997.