Anant did his undergraduate work in EECS at UC Berkeley from 1990-1994. From 1994-2000 he was a graduate student at MIT studying Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (Course 6 in MIT-speak) and was based in the Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems. In 2001 he was on the theoretical/algorithmic side of a team at the startup Enuvis, Inc. developing new adaptive software radio techniques for GPS in very low SNR environments (such as those encountered indoors in urban areas). He joined the Berkeley faculty in 2002.
He currently serves also as faculty adviser to UC Berkeley's chapter of Eta Kappa Nu. He has previously served as the Treasurer for the IEEE Information Theory Society. ('07-'09 inclusive)
His research interests span information theory, decentralized control, and wireless communication --- with a particular interest at the intersections of these fields. Within wireless communication, he is particularly interested in Spectrum Sharing and Cognitive Radio.
- P. Grover, K. A. Woyach, and A. Sahai, "Towards a Communication-Theoretic Understanding of System-Level Power Consumption," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1744 -1755, Sep. 2011.
- A. Sahai and P. Grover, "Demystifying the Witsenhausen Counterexample [Ask the Experts]," IEEE Control Systems Magazine, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 20 -24, Dec. 2010.
- P. Grover, A. Wagner, and A. Sahai, "Information Embedding meets Distributed Control," in Proceedings of the IEEE Information Theory Workshop, IEEE, 2010.
- K. Eswaran, A. Sarwate, A. Sahai, and M. Gastpar, "Zero-rate feedback can achieve the empirical capacity," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 25-39, Jan. 2010.
- P. Grover and A. Sahai, "Witsenhausen's counterexample as assisted interference suppression," International Journal of Systems, Control and Communications, vol. 2, no. 1/2/3, pp. 197-237, Jan. 2010.
- M. Mishra and A. Sahai, "How much white space has the FCC opened up?," IEEE Communications Letters, 2009.
- R. Tandra, M. Mishra, and A. Sahai, "What is a spectrum hole and what does it take to recognize one?," Proceedings of the IEEE, pp. 824-848, May 2009.
- P. Grover and A. Sahai, "The finite-dimensional Witsenhausen counterexample," March 2009.
- A. Sahai, K. A. Woyach, G. Atia, and V. Saligrama, "A technical perspective on light-handed regulation for cognitive radios," IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 96-102, March 2009.
- M. Mishra and A. Sahai, "How much white space is there?," EECS Department, University of California, Berkeley, Tech. Rep. UCB/EECS-2009-3, Jan. 2009.
- A. Sahai, M. Mishra, R. Tandra, and K. A. Woyach, "Cognitive Radios for Spectrum Sharing," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 140-146, Jan. 2009.
- K. A. Woyach, A. Sahai, G. Atia, and V. Saligrama, "Crime and Punishment for Cognitive Radios," in Proceedings of the Forty-Sixth Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, 2008.
- R. Tandra, M. Mishra, and A. Sahai, "Extended edition: What is a spectrum hole and what does it take to recognize one?," EECS Department, University of California, Berkeley, Tech. Rep. UCB/EECS-2008-110, Aug. 2008.
- P. Grover and A. Sahai, "Green Codes: Energy-Efficient Short-Range Communication," in Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, 2008, pp. 1178-1182.
- A. Sahai and S. Draper, "The `hallucination' bound for the BSC," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, IEEE, 2008, pp. 717-721.
- S. Draper and A. Sahai, "Variable-length channel coding with noisy feedback," European Transactions on Telecommunications: Special Issue on New Directions in Information Theory, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 355 - 370, June 2008.
- A. Sahai, "Why block length and delay behave differently for channel coding with feedback," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 1860-1886, May 2008.
- R. Tandra and A. Sahai, "SNR walls for signal detection," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 4 - 17, Feb. 2008.
- A. Sahai and P. Grover, "The price of certainty: "waterslide curves" and the gap to capacity," EECS Department, University of California, Berkeley, Tech. Rep. UCB/EECS-2008-1, Jan. 2008.
- C. Chang and A. Sahai, "The price of ignorance: the impact on side-information for delay in lossless source coding," 2007.