Anant did his undergraduate work in EECS at UC Berkeley from 1990-1994. From 1994-2000 he was a graduate student at MIT studying Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (Course 6 in MIT-speak) and was based in the Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems. In 2001 he was on the theoretical/algorithmic side of a team at the startup Enuvis, Inc. developing new adaptive software radio techniques for GPS in very low SNR environments (such as those encountered indoors in urban areas). He joined the Berkeley faculty in 2002.
He currently serves also as faculty adviser to UC Berkeley's chapter of Eta Kappa Nu. He has previously served as the Treasurer for the IEEE Information Theory Society. ('07-'09 inclusive)
His research interests span information theory, decentralized control, and wireless communication --- with a particular interest at the intersections of these fields. Within wireless communication, he is particularly interested in Spectrum Sharing and Cognitive Radio.
- K. Harrison, V. Muthukumar, and A. Sahai, "Whitespace evaluation software (WEST) and its applications to whitespace in Canada and Australia," in Dynamic Spectrum Access Networks (DySPAN), 2015 IEEE International Symposium on, 2015, pp. 47-58.
- V. Narasimha Swamy, S. Suri, P. Rigge, M. Weiner, G. Ranade, A. Sahai, and B. Nikolic, "Cooperative communication for high-reliability low-latency wireless control," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications, 2015, pp. 4380-4386.
- V. Muthukumar, A. Daruna, V. Kamble, K. Harrison, and A. Sahai, "Whitespaces after the USA's TV incentive auction: A spectrum reallocation case study," in Communications (ICC), 2015 IEEE International Conference on, 2015, pp. 7582-7588.
- P. Grover, A. Wagner, and A. Sahai, "Information Embedding and the Triple Role of Control," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 1539 - 1549, April 2015.
- H. Palaiyanur and A. Sahai, "On Haroutunian's Exponent for Parallel Channels and an Application to Fixed-Delay Codes Without Feedback," Information Theory, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 1298-1308, March 2015.
- S. Hasan, K. Heimerl, K. Harrison, K. Ali, A. Sahai, and E. Brewer, "GSM whitespaces: An opportunity for rural cellular service," in Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE International Symposium on Dynamic Spectrum Access Networks (DYSPAN), 2014.
- P. Grover, S. Y. Park, and A. Sahai, "Approximately Optimal Solutions to the Finite-Dimensional Witsenhausen Counterexample," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 2189-2204, Sep. 2013.
- J. Zhan, S. Y. Park, M. Gastpar, and A. Sahai, "Linear Function Computation in Networks: Duality and Constant Gap Results," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communication, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 620-638, April 2013.
- P. Grover, K. A. Woyach, and A. Sahai, "Towards a Communication-Theoretic Understanding of System-Level Power Consumption," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1744 -1755, Sep. 2011.
- A. Sahai and P. Grover, "Demystifying the Witsenhausen Counterexample [Ask the Experts]," IEEE Control Systems Magazine, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 20 -24, Dec. 2010.
- K. Eswaran, A. Sarwate, A. Sahai, and M. Gastpar, "Zero-rate feedback can achieve the empirical capacity," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 25-39, Jan. 2010.
- P. Grover and A. Sahai, "Witsenhausen's counterexample as assisted interference suppression," International Journal of Systems, Control and Communications, vol. 2, no. 1/2/3, pp. 197-237, Jan. 2010.
- R. Tandra, M. Mishra, and A. Sahai, "What is a spectrum hole and what does it take to recognize one?," Proceedings of the IEEE, pp. 824-848, May 2009.
- A. Sahai, K. A. Woyach, G. Atia, and V. Saligrama, "A technical perspective on light-handed regulation for cognitive radios," IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 96-102, March 2009.
- M. Mishra and A. Sahai, "How much white space is there?," EECS Department, University of California, Berkeley, Tech. Rep. UCB/EECS-2009-3, Jan. 2009.
- A. Sahai, M. Mishra, R. Tandra, and K. A. Woyach, "Cognitive Radios for Spectrum Sharing," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 140-146, Jan. 2009.
- K. A. Woyach, A. Sahai, G. Atia, and V. Saligrama, "Crime and Punishment for Cognitive Radios," in Proceedings of the Forty-Sixth Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, 2008.
- R. Tandra, M. Mishra, and A. Sahai, "Extended edition: What is a spectrum hole and what does it take to recognize one?," EECS Department, University of California, Berkeley, Tech. Rep. UCB/EECS-2008-110, Aug. 2008.
- P. Grover and A. Sahai, "Green Codes: Energy-Efficient Short-Range Communication," in Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, 2008, pp. 1178-1182.
- A. Sahai and S. Draper, "The `hallucination' bound for the BSC," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, IEEE, 2008, pp. 717-721.