Stuart J. Russell
He received his B.A. with first-class honours in Physics from Oxford University, 1982, and a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Stanford, 1986. He then joined the faculty of UC Berkeley where he is currently a professor of computer science, director of the Center for Intelligent Systems, and holder of the Smith-Zadeh Chair in Engineering.
In 1990, he received the Presidential Young Investigator Award of the National Science Foundation, and in 1995 he was co-winner of the Computers and Thought Award. He was a 1996 Miller Professor of the University of California and was appointed to a Chancellor's Professorship in 2000. In 1998, he gave the Forsythe Memorial Lectures at Stanford University. He is a Fellow and former Executive Council member of the American Association for Artificial Intelligence and a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery.
He has published over 100 papers on a wide range of topics in artificial intelligence. His books include "The Use of Knowledge in Analogy and Induction" (Pitman, 1989), "Do the Right Thing: Studies in Limited Rationality" (with Eric Wefald, MIT Press, 1991), and "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach" (with Peter Norvig, Prentice Hall, 1995, 2003).
- B. Milch, B. Marthi, S. J. Russell, D. Sontag, D. L. Ong, and A. Kolobov, "BLOG: Probabilistic models with unknown objects," in Proc. 19th Intl. Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-2005), L. Pack Kaelbling and A. Saffiotti, Eds., Rochester Hills, MI: IJCAI, Inc., 2005, pp. 1352-1359.
- D. Andre and S. J. Russell, "Programmable reinforcement learning agents," in Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 13: Proc. 14th Annual Conf. (NIPS 2000), T. K. Leen, T. G. Dietterich, and V. Tresp, Eds., Bradford Books, Vol. 13, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2001, pp. 1019-1025.
- T. Huang and S. J. Russell, "Object identification: A Bayesian analysis with application to traffic surveillance," Artificial Intelligence: Special Issue on Artificial Intelligence 40 Years Later, vol. 103, no. 1-2, pp. 77-93, Aug. 1998.
- S. J. Russell, "Rationality and intelligence," Artificial Intelligence: Special Issue on Economic Principles of Multi-Agent Systems, vol. 94, no. 1-2, pp. 57-77, July 1997.
- S. J. Russell and E. Wefald, "Principles of metareasoning," Artificial Intelligence, vol. 49, no. 1-3, pp. 361-395, May 1991.