Jan M. Rabaey
He received the EE and Ph.D. degrees in Applied Sciences from the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, in 1978 and 1983 respectively. From 1983-1985, he was a Visiting Research Engineer at UC Berkeley. From 1985-1987, he was a research manager at IMEC, Belgium, and in 1987, joined the faculty of the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science department at UC Berkeley, where he is now holds the Donald O. Pederson Distinguished Professorship. He has been a visiting professor at the University of Pavia (Italy), Waseda University (Japan), the Technical University Delft (Netherlands), Victoria Technical University and the University of New South Wales (Australia). He was the Associate Chair (EE) of the EECS Dept. at Berkeley from 1999 until 2002 and is currently the Scientific co-director of the Berkeley Wireless Research Center (BWRC), as well as the director of the Multiscale Systems Research Center (MuSyC).
Professor Rabaey has authored or co-authored a wide range of papers in the area of signal processing and design automation. He has received numerous scientific awards, including the 1985 IEEE Transactions on Computer Aided Design Best Paper Award (Circuits and Systems Society), the 1989 Presidential Young Investigator award, and the 1994 Signal Processing Society Senior Award. In 1995, he became an IEEE Fellow. He has also be awarded the 2002 ISSCC Jack Raper Award, the 2008 IEEE Circuits and Systems Mac Van Valkenburg Award, the 2009 EDAA Lifetime Achievement Award, and the 2010 Semiconductor Industry Association University Researcher Award. In 2011, he was elected to the Royal Flemish Academy of Arts and Sciences (Belgium). He is past Chair of the VLSI Signal Processing Technical Committee of the Signal Processing Society and has chaired the executive committee of the Design Automation Conference. He serves on the Technical Advisory Boards of a wide range of companies.
- Y. H. Chee, A. Niknejad, and J. M. Rabaey, "An ultra-low-power injection locked transmitter for wireless sensor networks," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1740-1748, Aug. 2006.
- J. van Greunen, Y. Markovsky, C. R. Baker, J. M. Rabaey, J. Wawrzynek, and A. Wolisz, "ZUMA: A platform for smart-home environments -- The case for infrastructure," in Proc. 2nd IET Intl. Conf. on Intelligent Environments (IE 2006), Vol. 1, Stevenage, UK: IET Press, 2006, pp. 257-266.
- M. Sheets, F. Burghardt, T. Karalar, J. Ammer, Y. H. Chee, and J. M. Rabaey, "A power-managed protocol processor for wireless sensor networks," in 2006 Symp. on VLSI Circuits. Digest of Technical Papers, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2006, pp. 212-213.
- D. Petrovic, K. Ramchandran, and J. M. Rabaey, "Overcoming untuned radios in wireless networks with network coding," IEEE Trans. Information Theory, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 2649-2657, June 2006.
- Y. Chee, A. Niknejad, and J. M. Rabaey, "A 89-µW 1.9-GHz CMOs oscillator using FBAR resonator," in RFIC Digest of Papers, 2005, pp. 123-126.
- W. Weber, J. M. Rabaey, and E. Aarts, Eds., Ambient Intelligence, New York, NY: Springer-Verlag, 2005.
- Y. Chee, A. Niknejad, and J. M. Rabaey, "A class A/B low power amplifier for wireless sensor networks," in Proceedings of ISCAS, 2004, pp. IV 409-412.
- S. Roundy, P. K. Wright, and J. M. Rabaey, Energy Scavenging for Wireless Sensor Networks: With Special Focus on Vibrations, Boston, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers/Springer, 2003.
- B. P. Otis and J. M. Rabaey, "A 300-muW 1.9-GHz CMOS oscillator utilizing micromachined resonators," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 1271-1274, July 2003.
- J. M. Rabaey, A. P. Chandrakasan, and B. Nikolic, Digital Integrated Circuits: A Design Perspective, 2 ed., Prentice Hall Electronics and VLSI Series, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall/Pearson Education, 2003.
- C. Savarese, J. M. Rabaey, and K. Langendoen, "Robust positioning algorithms for distributed ad-hoc wireless sensor networks," in Proc. 2002 USENIX Annual Technical Conf., C. S. Ellis, Ed., Berkeley, CA: USENIX Association, 2002, pp. 317-327.
- J. M. Rabaey, J. Ammer, T. Karalar, S. Li, B. Otis, M. Sheets, and T. Tuan, "PicoRadios for wireless sensor networks: The next challenge in ultra-low power design," in 2002 IEEE Intl. Solid-State Circuits Conf. Digest of Technical Papers, Vol. 45, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2002, pp. 200-201.
- H. Zhang, V. Prabhu, V. George, M. Wan, M. Benes, A. Abnous, and J. M. Rabaey, "A 1V heterogeneous reconfigurable processor IC for baseband wireless applications," in 2000 IEEE Intl. Solid-State Circuits Conf. Digest of Technical Papers, Vol. 43, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2000, pp. 68-69.
- J. M. Rabaey, "Reconfigurable processing: The solution to low-power programmable DSP," in Proc. 1997 IEEE Intl. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP '97), Vol. 1, Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE Computer Society Press, 1997, pp. 275-278.
- J. M. Rabaey and M. Pedram, Eds., Low Power Design Methodologies, The Springer International Series in Engineering and Computer Science, Vol. 336, Boston, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers/Springer, 1995.
- E. Brewer, T. Burd, F. Burghardt, A. Burstein, R. Doering, K. Lutz, S. Narayansaramy, T. Pering, B. Richards, T. Truman, R. H. Katz, J. M. Rabaey, and R. W. Brodersen, "Design of wireless portable systems," in Proc. 40th IEEE Computer Society Intl. Conf. (COMPCON '95): Technologies for the Information Superhighway, Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE Computer Society Press, 1995, pp. 169-178.
- P. Landman and J. M. Rabaey, "Black-box capacitance models for architectural power analysis," in Proc. 1994 Intl. Workshop on Low Power Design, 1994, pp. 165-170.
- P. D. Hoang and J. M. Rabaey, "Scheduling of DSP programs onto multiprocessors for maximum throughput," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 2225-2235, June 1993.
- A. P. Chandrakasan, M. Potkonjak, J. M. Rabaey, and R. W. Brodersen, "HYPER-LP: A system for power minimization using architectural transformations," in IEEE/ACM Intl. Conf. on Computer-Aided Design (ICCAD '92). Digest of Technical Papers, Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE Computer Society Press, 1992, pp. 300-303.
- G. Goossens, J. M. Rabaey, J. Vandewalle, and H. De Man, "An efficient microcode-compiler for custom DSP-processors," in IEEE/ACM Intl. Conf. on Computer-Aided Design (ICCAD '87). Digest of Technical Papers, Washington, DC: IEEE Computer Society Press, 1987, pp. 24-27.