He received a B.A. in Applied Physics from UC San Diego, 1986, and an M.S. and Ph.D. in EECS from UC Berkeley in 1989 and 1992. Prior to joining the faculty of EECS in 1996, he taught in the Electrical Engineering Department, UCLA.
Professor Pister developed Smart Dust, a project with the goal of putting a complete sensing/communication platform inside a cubic millimeter. For this project, he was awarded the second annual Alexander Schwarzkopf Prize for Technological Innovation, in 2006, from the I/UCRC Association, for developing and successfully commercializing Smart Dust. He has also focused his energies on synthetic insects, which he has characterized as "basically Smart Dust with legs." Professor Pister was award the Alfred F. Sperry Founder Award in 2009 for his "contributions to the science and technology of instrumentation, systems, and automation."
Kris is a co-Director of the Berkeley Sensor and Actuator Center (BSAC) and a researcher with the Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society (CITRIS).
- B. W. Cook, A. D. Berny, A. Molnar, S. Lanzisera, and K. Pister, "An ultra-low-power 2.4GHz RF transceiver for wireless sensor networks in 130nm CMOS with 400mV supply and an integrated passive RX front-end," in 2006 IEEE Intl. Solid-State Circuits Conf. (ISSCC '06). Digest of Technical Papers, L. C. Fujino, Ed., Vol. 49, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2006, pp. 370-371.
- B. S. Leibowitz, B. Boser, and K. Pister, "A 256-element CMOS imaging receiver for free-space optical communication," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 1948-1956, Sep. 2005.
- M. D. Scott, B. Boser, and K. Pister, "An ultralow-energy ADC for Smart Dust," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 1123-1129, July 2003.
- M. Last, B. S. Leibowitz, B. Cagdaser, A. Jog, L. Zhou, B. Boser, and K. Pister, "Toward a wireless optical communication link between two small unmanned aerial vehicles," in Proc. 2003 IEEE Intl. Symp. on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS 2003), Vol. 3, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2003, pp. 930-933.
- S. Hollar, A. Flynn, S. Bellew, and K. Pister, "Solar powered 10 mg silicon robot," in Proc. IEEE 16th Annual Intl. Conf. on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE, 2003, pp. 706-711.
- B. A. Warneke, M. D. Scott, B. S. Leibowitz, L. Zhou, C. L. Bellew, J. A. Chediak, J. M. Kahn, B. Boser, and K. Pister, "An autonomous 16 mm3 solar-powered node for distributed wireless sensor networks," in Proc. 2002 1st Intl. Conf. on Sensors, Vol. 2, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2002, pp. 1510-1515.
- J. V. Clark, D. Bindel, W. Kao, E. Zhu, A. Kuo, N. Zhou, J. Nie, J. Demmel, Z. Bai, S. Govindjee, K. Pister, M. Gu, and A. Agogino, "Addressing the needs of complex MEMS design," in Proc. 15th IEEE Intl. Conf. on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2002, pp. 204-209.
- B. S. Leibowitz, B. Boser, and K. Pister, "CMOS "smart pixel" for free-space optical communication," in Proc. SPIE: Sensors and Camera Systems for Scientific, Industrial, and Digital Photography Applications II, M. M. Blouke, J. Canosa, and N. Sampat, Eds., Vol. 4306, Bellingham, WA: SPIE, 2001, pp. 308-318.
- L. Doherty, B. A. Warneke, B. Boser, and K. Pister, "Energy and performance considerations for smart dust," Intl. J. Parallel and Distributed Systems & Networks, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 121-133, March 2001.
- B. Warneke, M. Last, B. Liebowitz, and K. Pister, "Smart Dust: Communicating with a cubic-millimeter computer," Computer, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 44-51, Jan. 2001.
- P. B. Chu, J. T. Chen, R. Yeh, G. Lin, J. C. P. Huang, B. A. Warneke, and K. Pister, "Controlled pulse-etching with xenon difluoride," in TRANSDUCERS '97 Digest of Technical Papers, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE, 1997, pp. 665-668.
- K. Pister, M. W. Judy, S. R. Burgett, and R. S. Fearing, "Microfabricated hinges," Sensors and Actuators A (Physical), vol. A33, no. 3, pp. 249-256, June 1992.