In September 2013, Professor Pisano moved to UC San Diego to serve as the Dean of their Jacobs School of Engineering. As dean, he will hold the Walter J. Zable Chair in Engineering and is expected to hold faculty appointments in the Departments of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Professor Pisano joined the University of California in 1983. He received his B.S. (1976), M.S. (1977) and Ph.D. (1981) degrees from Columbia University in the City of New York in Mechanical Engineering.
Professor Pisano was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 2001. A member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, he was elected to Fellow status in 2004. In 2009, he was awarded the Columbia University Thomas Egleston Medal for Distinguished Engineering Achievement by notable alumni of Columbia University. Professor Pisano recently served as the Faculty Head of the Program Office for Operational Excellence at UC Berkley. Before this position, he served as the Acting Dean of the College of Engineering, and was Professor and Chair of the Department of Mechanical Engineering from 2004 to 2010.
- C. Lin, Y. Chen, V. Felmetsger, D. Senesky, and A. Pisano, "AlN/3C-SiC composite plate enabling high-frequency and high-Q micromechanical resonators," Adv. Mater., vol. 24, no. 20, pp. 2722-2727, May 2012.
- C. Lin, Y. Lai, J. Hsu, Y. Chen, D. Senesky, and A. Pisano, "High-Q aluminum nitride Lamb wave resonators with biconvex edges," Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 99, no. 14, pp. 143501, Oct. 2011.
- C. Lin, Y. Chen, and A. Pisano, "Theoretical investigation of Lamb wave characteristics in AlN/3C-SiC composite membranes," Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 97, no. 19, pp. 193506, Nov. 2010.
- C. Lin, W. Lien, V. Felmetsger, M. Hopcroft, D. Senesky, and A. Pisano, "AlN thin films grown on epitaxial 3C-SiC (100) for piezoelectric resonant devices," Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 97, no. 14, pp. 141907, Oct. 2010.
- C. Lin, T. Yen, V. Felmetsger, M. Hopcroft, J. Kuypers, and A. Pisano, "Thermally compensated aluminum nitride Lamb wave resonators for high temperature applications," Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 98, no. 8, pp. 083501, Aug. 2010.
- C. Lin, T. Yen, Y. Lai, V. Felmetsger, M. Hopcroft, J. Kuypers, and A. Pisano, "Temperature-compensated aluminum nitride Lamb wave resonators," IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 524-532, March 2010.
- R. G. Azevedo, D. G. Jones, A. V. Jog, B. Jamshidi, D. R. Meyers, L. Chen, X. Fu, M. Mehregany, M. B. J. Wijesundara, and A. Pisano, "A SiC MEMS resonant strain sensor for harsh environment applications," IEEE J. Sensors, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 568-576, April 2007.
- I. Park, Z. Li, X. Li, A. Pisano, and R. S. Williams, "Towards the silicon nanowire-based sensor for intracellular biochemical detection," Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 22, no. 9-10, pp. 2065-2070, April 2007.
- M. C. Y. Huang, K. B. Cheng, Y. Zhou, A. Pisano, and C. Chang-Hasnain, "Monolithic integrated piezoelectric MEMS-tunable VCSEL," IEEE J. Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 374-380, March 2007.
- J. M. Lippmann, E. J. Geiger, and A. Pisano, "Polymer invest molding: Method for fabricating hollow, microscale parts," Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 2-10, Feb. 2007.
- D. A. Mair, E. Geiger, A. Pisano, J. M. J. Frechet, and F. Svec, "Injection molded microfluidic chips featuring integrated interconnects," Lab on a Chip, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 1346-1354, Oct. 2006.
- P. J. Stephanou, G. Piazza, C. D. White, M. B. J. Wijesundara, and A. Pisano, "Design of novel mechanical coupling for contour mode piezoelectric RF MEMS filters," J. Physics: Conference Series, vol. 34, pp. 342-349, May 2006.
- S. Payen, D. C. Walther, and A. Pisano, "A MEMS RF-interrogated biosensor," in Proc. 2005 3rd Annual Intl. IEEE/EMBS Special Topic Conf. on Microtechnologies in Medicine and Biology, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2005, pp. 76-79.
- G. Piazza, K. Castelino, A. Pisano, and C. Chang-Hasnain, "Design of a monolithic piezoelectrically actuated microelectromechanical tunable vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser," Optics Letters, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 896-898, April 2005.
- J. D. Zahn, A. Deshmukh, A. Pisano, and D. Liepmann, "Continuous on-chip micropumping for microneedle enhanced drug delivery," Biomedical Microdevices, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 183-190, Sep. 2004.
- A. C. Fernandez-Pello, A. Pisano, K. Fu, D. C. Walther, A. Knobloch, F. Martinez, M. Senesky, C. Stoldt, R. Maboudian, S. R. Sanders, and D. Liepmann, "MEMS rotary engine power system," Trans. IEE Japan, vol. 123-E, no. 9, pp. 326-330, Sep. 2003.
- L. Lin and A. Pisano, "Silicon-processed microneedles," J. Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 78-84, March 1999.
- L. Lin and A. Pisano, "IC-processed microneedles," U.S. Patent 5,855,801. Jan. 1999.
- L. Lin, R. T. Howe, and A. Pisano, "Microelectromechanical filters for signal processing," J. Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 286-294, Sep. 1998.
- D. L. DeVoe and A. Pisano, "Modeling and optimal design of piezoelectric cantilever microactuators," J. Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 266-270, Sep. 1997.