Professor in Residence
Nelson Morgan is the Deputy Director (and former Director) of the International Computer Science Institute (ICSI), an independent not-for profit research laboratory that is closely affiliated with UC Berkeley. He has also led the Speech Group at ICSI since 1988. He is is a Professor-in-residence in the EECS Department at the University of California at Berkeley, where he received his Ph.D. as an NSF Fellow in 1980. He has been working on problems in signal processing and pattern recognition since 1974, with a primary emphasis on speech processing. He is a former Editor-in-chief of
Speech Communication, and has been a member of the IEEE Speech Technical Committee and the IEEE Neural Networks Committee. He is also a Fellow of the IEEE and of the International Speech Communication Association (ISCA). In 1997, he received the Signal Processing Magazine best paper award. He was the Principal Investigator for the multi-site coalition, funded by the DARPA EARS Novel Approaches project, which was the 2002-5 U.S. government program focusing on long-term progress in speech recognition. Professor Morgan has roughly 200 publications, including three books; his most recent book is a text (written jointly with Ben Gold) on speech and audio signal processing. He holds a number of patents in speech processing methods, including one that is currently being used in millions of CDMA cell phones. His current research interests include the redesign from first principles of the primary signal processing used in speech recognition systems and the use of neural networks for the design of these new features. Professor Morgan is also on a number of Boards: the Scientific Advisory Board for IDIAP, a Swiss research institute; the Excellence Cluster on Multimodal Computing and Interaction in Saarbruecken, Germany; the ISCA Advisory Council; the International Advisory Board for the National Institute of Informatics (Japan); the Speech Communication Editorial Board; and Sensory, Inc.'s Advisory Board.
- N. Morgan, "Deep and Wide: Multiple Layers in Automatic Speech Recognition," IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 7-13, Jan. 2012.
- B. Gold, N. Morgan, and D. Ellis, Speech and Audio Signal Processing: Processing and Perception of Speech and Music, 2nd ed., Wiley, 2011.
- J. Chong, G. Friedland, A. Janin, N. Morgan, and C. Oei, "Opportunities and Challenges of Parallelizing Speech Recognition," in 2nd USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Parallelism (HotPar'10), 2010.
- J. M. Baker, L. Deng, J. Glass, S. Khudanpur, C. Lee, N. Morgan, and D. O'Shaugnessy, "Research Developments and Directions in Speech Recognition and Understanding, Part 2," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 78-85, July 2009.
- J. M. Baker, L. Deng, J. Glass, S. Khudanpur, C. Lee, N. Morgan, and D. O'Shaugnessy, "Research Developments and Directions in Speech Recognition and Understanding, Part 1," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 75-80, May 2009.
- N. Morgan, Q. Zhu, A. Stolcke, K. Sonmez, S. Sivadas, T. Shinozaki, M. Ostendorf, P. Jain, H. Hermansky, D. Ellis, G. Doddington, B. Chen, O. Cretin, H. Bourlard, and M. Athineos, "Pushing the envelope - aside [speech recognition]," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 81-88, Sep. 2005.
- N. Morgan, D. Baron, S. Bhagat, H. Carvey, R. Dhillon, J. Edwards, D. Gelbart, A. Janin, A. Krupski, B. Peskin, T. Pfau, E. Shriberg, A. Stolcke, and C. Wooters, "Meetings about meetings: Research at ICSI on speech in multiparty conversations," in Proc. 2003 IEEE Intl. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 4, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2003, pp. 740-743.
- N. Morgan and E. Fosler-Lussier, "Combining multiple estimators of speaking rate," in Proc. 1998 IEEE Intl. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 2, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 1998, pp. 729-732.
- N. Morgan and H. Bourlard, "Continuous speech recognition: An introduction to the hybrid HMM/connectionist approach," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 25-42, May 1995.
- H. Hermansky and N. Morgan, "RASTA processing of speech," IEEE Trans. Speech and Audio Processing, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 578-589, Oct. 1994.
- N. Morgan, H. Bourlard, S. Greenberg, and H. Hermansky, "Stochastic perceptual auditory-event-based models for speech recognition," in Proc. 1994 Intl. Conf. on Spoken Language Processing, Vol. 4, Tokyo, Japan: Acoustical Society of Japan, 1994, pp. 1943-1946.
- N. Morgan, "Big dumb neural nets: A working brute force approach to speech recognition," in Proc. 1994 IEEE Intl. Conf. on Neural Networks: IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, Vol. 7, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 1994, pp. 4462-4465.
- N. Morgan and H. Bourlard, "Factoring networks by a statistical method," Neural Computation, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 835-838, Nov. 1992.
- A. S. Gevins, N. Morgan, S. L. Bressler, B. A. Cutillo, R. M. White, J. Illes, D. S. Greer, J. C. Doyle, and G. M. Zeitlin, "Human neuroelectric patterns predict performance accuracy," Science, vol. 235, no. 4788, pp. 580-585, Jan. 1987.
- A. S. Gevins and N. Morgan, ""Ignorance-based" systems," in Proc. 1984 IEEE Intl. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 9, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 1984, pp. 39A.5.1-4.