Allan J. Lichtenberg
He received his A.B. degree from Harvard University, 1952, his M.S. degree from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1957, and his Ph.D. degree from Oxford University, 1961. While he was at Oxford, he was an Associate Electronic Industries Fellow. In 1957 Professor Lichtenberg joined the faculty of the Department of Electrical Engineering of the University of California, Berkeley and is now Professor in the Graduate School. During his time at Berkeley, Professor Lichtenberg was a John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellow from 1965-1966 and studied radiation from high temperature plasmas and phase-space concepts in particle dynamics. He held a Miller Research Professorship at the University of California during 1968-1969 and he chaired the Energy and Resources graduate group from 1974-1978.
Professor Lichtenberg has written and coauthored several books. His monograph, Phase Space Dynamics of Particles, was published by John Wiley, 1969, and has been translated into Russian. His second book, Regular and Stochastic Motion, co-authored with Michael A. Lieberman, was published by Springer-Verlag in 1983, and has also been translated into Russian. A second edition, Regular and Chaotic Dynamics, was published in 1991. A review and graduate text, also written with Professor Lieberman, Plasma Discharges and Materials Processing, was published by John Wiley in 1994 and an expanded (750 page) second edition was published in 2005.
- M. A. Lieberman and A. J. Lichtenberg, Principles of Plasma Discharges and Materials Processing, 2nd ed., Wiley Interscience, Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2005.
- M. A. Lieberman and A. J. Lichtenberg, Principles of Plasma Discharges and Materials Processing, 1st ed., Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons, 1994.
- A. J. Lichtenberg and M. A. Lieberman, Regular and Chaotic Dynamics, 2nd ed., Applied Mathematical Sciences, Vol. 38, New York, NY: Springer-Verlag, 1992.
- C. G. Goedde, A. J. Lichtenberg, and M. A. Lieberman, "Self-consistent stochastic electron heating in radio frequency discharges," J. Applied Physics, vol. 64, no. 9, pp. 4375-4383, Nov. 1988.
- A. J. Lichtenberg and M. A. Lieberman, Regular and Stochastic Motion, 1st ed., Applied Mathematical Sciences, Vol. 38, New York, NY: Springer-Verlag, 1983.
- M. A. Lieberman and A. J. Lichtenberg, "Stochastic and adiabatic behavior of particles accelerated by periodic forces," Physical Review A, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 1852-1866, April 1972.
- B. G. Logan, A. J. Lichtenberg, M. A. Lieberman, and A. Makhijani, "Multiple-mirror confinement of plasmas," Physical Review Letters, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 144-147, Jan. 1972.