Edward A. Lee
Edward A. Lee is the Robert S. Pepper Distinguished Professor and former chair of the Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences (EECS) department at U.C. Berkeley. His research interests center on design, modeling, and simulation of embedded, real-time computational systems. He is a director of Chess, the Berkeley Center for Hybrid and Embedded Software Systems, and is the director of the Berkeley Ptolemy project. He is co-author of five books and numerous papers. He has led the development of several influential open-source software packages, notably Ptolemy and its various spinoffs. His bachelors degree (B.S.) is from Yale University (1979), his masters (S.M.) from MIT (1981), and his Ph.D. from U. C. Berkeley (1986). From 1979 to 1982 he was a member of technical staff at Bell Telephone Laboratories in Holmdel, New Jersey, in the Advanced Data Communications Laboratory. He is a co-founder of BDTI, Inc., where he is currently a Senior Technical Advisor, and has consulted for a number of other companies. He is a Fellow of the IEEE, was an NSF Presidential Young Investigator, and won the 1997 Frederick Emmons Terman Award for Engineering Education.
The following links may be useful:
- E. A. Lee and S. A. Seshia, Introduction to Embedded Systems - A Cyber-Physical Systems Approach, Berkeley, CA: LeeSeshia.org, 2011.
- A. Goderis, C. Brooks, I. Altintas, E. A. Lee, and C. Goble, "Heterogeneous Composition of Models of Computation," EECS Department, University of California, Berkeley, Tech. Rep. UCB/EECS-2007-139, Nov. 2007.
- E. A. Lee, "Are new languages necessary for multicore?," in International Symposium on Code Generation and Optimization (CGO), 2007.
- E. A. Lee, "Cyber-Physical Systems - Are Computing Foundations Adequate?," in NSF Workshop on Cyber-Physical Systems: Research Motivation, Techniques and Roadmap, 2006.
- B. Ludascher, I. Altintas, C. Berkley, D. Higgins, E. Jaeger, M. Jones, E. A. Lee, J. Tao, and Y. Zhao, "Scientific workflow management and the Kepler system," Special Issue: Workflow in Grid Systems, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1039-1065, Aug. 2006.
- E. A. Lee, "The problem with threads," IEEE Computer, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 33-42, May 2006.
- E. A. Lee and Y. Xiong, "A behavioral type system and its application in Ptolemy II," Formal Aspects of Computing, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 210-237, Aug. 2004.
- E. A. Lee and P. Varaiya, Structure and Interpretation of Signals and Systems, Boston: Addison Wesley, 2003.
- J. R. Barry, E. A. Lee, and D. G. Messerschmitt, Digital Communication, 3rd ed., Boston, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2003.
- S. A. Edwards and E. A. Lee, "The semantics and execution of a synchronous block-diagram language," Science of Computer Programming, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 21-42, July 2003.
- J. Eker, J. W. Janneck, E. A. Lee, X. Liu, J. Ludvig, S. Neuendorffer, S. Sachs, and Y. Xiong, "Taming heterogeneity - The Ptolemy approach," Proc. IEEE, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 127-144, Jan. 2003.
- P. K. Murthy and E. A. Lee, "Multidimensional synchronous dataflow," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 2064-2079, Aug. 2002.
- S. S. Bhattacharyya, P. K. Murthy, and E. A. Lee, "Synthesis of embedded software from synchronous dataflow specifications," J. VLSI Signal Processing Systems for Signal, Image, and Video Technology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 151-166, June 1999.
- A. Girault, B. Lee, and E. A. Lee, "Hierarchical finite state machines with multiple concurrency models," IEEE Trans. Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 742-760, June 1999.
- E. A. Lee and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "A framework for comparing models of computation," IEEE Trans. Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1217-1229, Dec. 1998.
- E. A. Lee and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "A Denotational Framework for Comparing Models of Computation," EECS Department, University of California, Berkeley, Tech. Rep. UCB/ERL M97/11, 1997.
- S. Ha and E. A. Lee, "Compile-time scheduling of dynamic constructs in dataflow program graphs," IEEE Trans. Computers, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 768-778, July 1997.
- S. S. Bhattacharyya, S. Sriram, and E. A. Lee, "Optimizing synchronization in multiprocessor DSP systems," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 1605-1618, June 1997.
- S. S. Bhattacharyya, P. K. Murthy, and E. A. Lee, Software Synthesis from Dataflow Graphs, Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.
- E. A. Lee and T. M. Parks, "Dataflow process networks," Proc. IEEE, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 773-801, May 1995.