Ali Javey received a Ph.D. degree in chemistry from Stanford University in 2005, and was a Junior Fellow of the Harvard Society of Fellows from 2005 to 2006. He then joined the faculty of the University of California at Berkeley where he is currently a professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences. He is also a faculty scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory where he serves as the program leader of Electronic Materials (E-Mat). He is an associate editor of
ACS Nano. He is the co-director of Berkeley Sensor and Actuator Center (BSAC), and Bay Area PV Consortium (BAPVC).
Professor Javey's research interests encompass the fields of chemistry, materials science, and electrical engineering. His work focuses on the integration of nanoscale electronic materials for various technological applications, including 2D electronics, flexible circuits and sensors, and energy generation and harvesting. He has received numerous awards including Nano Letters Young Investigator Lectureship (2014); UC Berkeley Electrical Engineering Outstanding Teaching Award (2012); APEC Science Prize for Innovation, Research and Education (2011); Netexplorateur of the Year Award (2011); IEEE Nanotechnology Early Career Award (2010); Alfred P. Sloan Fellow (2010); Mohr Davidow Ventures Innovators Award (2010); National Academy of Sciences Award for Initiatives in Research (2009); Technology Review TR35 (2009); NSF Early CAREER Award (2008); U.S. Frontiers of Engineering by National Academy of Engineering (2008); and Peter Verhofstadt Fellowship from the Semiconductor Research Corporation (2003).
- H. Fang, C. Battaglia, C. Carraro, S. Nemsak, B. Ozdol, J. S. Kang, H. A. Bechtel, S. B. Desai, F. Kronast, A. A. Unal, G. Conti, C. Conlon, G. K. Palsson, M. C. Martin, A. M. Minor, C. S. Fadley, E. Yablonovitch, R. Maboudian, and A. Javey, "Strong interlayer coupling in van der Waals heterostructures built from single-layer chalcogenides," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 111, pp. 6198--6202, 2014.
- X. Zhang, Z. Yu, C. Wang, D. Zarrouk, J. T. Seo, J. C. Cheng, A. D. Buchan, K. Takei, Y. Zhao, J. W. Ager, J. Zhang, M. Hettick, M. C. Hersam, A. Pisano, R. S. Fearing, and A. Javey, "Photoactuators and motors based on carbon nanotubes with selective chirality distributions," Nature Communications, vol. 5, no. 2983, 2014.
- H. Fang, H. A. Bechtel, E. Plis, M. C. Martin, S. Krishna, E. Yablonovitch, and A. Javey, "Quantum of optical absorption in two-dimensional semiconductors," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 110, no. 29, pp. 11688--11691, 2013.
- C. Wang, D. Hwang, Z. Yu, K. Takei, J. Park, T. Chen, B. Ma, and A. Javey, "User-interactive electronic skin for instantaneous pressure visualization," Nature Materials, vol. 12, pp. 899-904, 2013.
- R. Kapadia, Z. Yu, H. H. Wang, M. Zheng, C. Battaglia, M. Hettick, D. Kiriya, K. Takei, P. Lobaccaro, J. W. Beeman, J. W. Ager, R. Maboudian, D. C. Chrzan, and A. Javey, "A direct thin-film path towards low-cost large-area III-V photovoltaics," Scientific Reports, vol. 3, pp. 2275, July 2013.
- H. Fang, S. Chuang, T. C. Chang, K. Takei, T. Takahashi, and A. Javey, "High-performance single layered WSe2 p-FETs with chemically doped contacts," Nano Letters, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 3788--3792, 2012.
- H. Ko, K. Takei, R. Kapadia, S. Chuang, H. Fang, P. W. Leu, K. Ganapathi, E. Plis, H. S. Kim, S. Chen, M. Madsen, A. C. Ford, Y. Chueh, S. Krishna, S. Salahuddin, and A. Javey, "Ultrathin compound semiconductor on insulator layers for high-performance nanoscale transistors," Nature, vol. 468, no. 7321, pp. 286-289, Nov. 2010.
- K. Takei, T. Takahashi, J. C. Ho, H. Ko, A. G. Gillies, P. W. Leu, R. S. Fearing, and A. Javey, "Nanowire active-matrix circuitry for low-voltage macroscale artificial skin," Nature Materials, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 821-826, Oct. 2010.
- Z. Fan, H. Razavi, J. Do, A. Moriwaki, O. Ergen, Y. Chueh, P. W. Leu, J. C. Ho, T. Takahashi, L. A. Reichertz, S. Neale, K. Yu, M. C. Wu, J. W. Ager, and A. Javey, "Three-dimensional nanopillar-array photovoltaics on low-cost and flexible substrates," Nature Materials, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 648-653, Aug. 2009.
- A. Javey and J. Kong, Eds., Carbon Nanotube Electronics, Springer, 2009.
- Z. Fan, J. C. Ho, Z. A. Jacobson, H. Razavi, and A. Javey, "Large scale, heterogeneous integration of nanowire arrays for image sensor circuitry," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 105, no. 32, pp. 11066-11070, Aug. 2008.
- J. C. Ho, R. Yerushalmi, Z. A. Jacobson, Z. Fan, R. L. Alley, and A. Javey, "Controlled nanoscale doping of semiconductors via molecular monolayers," Nature Materials, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 62-67, Jan. 2008.
- A. Javey, J. Guo, Q. Wang, D. Mann, M. Lundstrom, and H. Dai, "High-field quasiballistic transport in short carbon nanotubes," Physical Review Letters, vol. 92, no. 10, pp. 106804, March 2004.
- A. Javey, J. Guo, Q. Wang, M. Lundstrom, and H. Dai, "Ballistic carbon nanotube field-effect transistors," Nature, vol. 424, no. 6949, pp. 654-657, 2003.
- A. Javey, H. Kim, M. Brink, Q. Wang, A. Ural, J. Gu, P. McIntyre, P. McEuen, M. Lundstrom, and H. Dai, "High-k dielectrics for advanced carbon-nanotube transistors and logic gates," Nature Materials, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 241-246, Dec. 2002.