Joseph M. Hellerstein
Joseph M. Hellerstein is a Professor of Computer Science at the University of California, Berkeley, whose work focuses on data-centric systems and the way they drive computing. He is an
ACM Fellow, an
Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow and the recipient of two
ACM-SIGMOD "Test of Time" awards for his research. In 2010, Fortune Magazine included him in their list of 50
smartest people in technology , and MIT's
Technology Review magazine included his work on
Distributed Programming on their 2010
TR10 list of the 10 technologies "most likely to change our world". Key ideas from his research have been incorporated into commercial and open-source software from IBM, Oracle, and PostgreSQL. He is a past director of Intel Research Berkeley, and currently serves on the technical advisory boards of a number of computing and Internet companies.
- J. M. Hellerstein, "Quantitative Data Cleaning for Large Databases," Jan. 2008.
- J. M. Hellerstein, M. Stonebraker, and J. Hamilton, "Architecture of a Database System," in Foundations and Trends in Databases, J. M. Hellerstein, Ed., Foundations and Trends, Vol. 1, Hanover, MA: now publishers inc., 2007, pp. 141-259.
- B. T. Loo, T. Condie, J. M. Hellerstein, P. Maniatis, T. Roscoe, and I. Stoica, "Implementing declarative overlays," ACM SIGOPS Operating Systems Review, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 75-90, Dec. 2005.
- S. R. Madden, M. Franklin, J. M. Hellerstein, and W. Hong, "TinyDB: An acquisitional query processing system for sensor networks," ACM Trans. Database Systems: Special Issue: Best papers of SIGMOD/PODS 2003, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 122-173, March 2005.
- S. R. Madden, M. Franklin, J. M. Hellerstein, and W. Hong, "TAG: A Tiny AGgregation service for ad hoc sensor networks," in Proc. 5th Symp. on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI '02), Berkeley, CA: USENIX Association, 2002, pp. 131-146.
- R. Avnur and J. M. Hellerstein, "Eddies: Continuously adaptive query processing," ACM SIGMOD Record, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 261-272, June 2000.
- P. J. Haas and J. M. Hellerstein, "Ripple joins for online aggregation (Best Paper in Computer Science, IBM Research)," ACM SIGMOD Record, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 287-298, June 1999.
- J. M. Hellerstein, P. J. Haas, and H. J. Wang, "Online aggregation (Winner, 2007 ACM SIGMOD Test of Time Award)," in Proc. 1997 ACM SIGMOD Intl. Conf. on Management of Data (SIGMOD '97), J. M. Peckman, S. Ram, and M. Franklin, Eds., New York, NY: The Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 1997, pp. 171-182.
- J. M. Hellerstein, J. F. Naughton, and A. Pfeffer, "Generalized search trees for database systems," in Proc. 21st Intl. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases, U. Dayal, P. M. D. Gray, and S. Nishio, Eds., San Francisco, CA: Morgan Kaufmann, 1995, pp. 562-573.
- H. Pirahesh, J. M. Hellerstein, and W. Hasan, "Extensible/rule-based Query Rewrite optimization in Starburst (Winner, 2002 ACM SIGMOD Test of Time Award)," in Proc. 1992 ACM SIGMOD Intl. Conf. on Management of Data (SIGMOD '92), M. Stonebraker, Ed., New York, NY: The Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 1992, pp. 39-48.