Professor Franklin is a Professor of Computer Science at UC Berkeley, specializing in large-scale data management infrastructure and applications (these days called "Big Data"). He works primarily in the Database (DB) and Operating Systems and Networking Technology (OSNT) areas. He is currently Director of the Algorithms, Machines and People Lab (AMPLab) - an industry and government-supported collaboration of students, postdocs, and faculty who specialize in data management, cloud computing, statistical machine learning and other important topics necessary for making sense of vast amounts of varied and unruly data. He is also a founder and was the CTO of Truviso, a high-performance analytics software company in Foster City, CA, which was acquired by Cisco (CSCO) in Spring 2012.
Professor Franklin holds the Thomas M. Siebel Chair in Computer Science at UC Berkeley. He won the IBM Faculty Award and the Google Faculty Research Grant in 2009. He was named ACM Fellow in 2005. He won the ACM Service Award in 2002 and the Okawa Foundation Research Grant, as well as the Siemens Faculty Development Grant in 2000. In 1995, he won the National Science Foundation CAREER Award. He completed the B.S. in Computer and Information Science at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst in 1983; the M.S.E. at the Wang Institute of Graduate Studies in 1986, and his Ph.D. at the University of Wisconsin, Madison in 1993.
- R. S. Xin, J. Rosen, M. Zaharia, M. Franklin, S. Shenker, and I. Stoica, "Shark: SQL and Rich Analytics at Scale," EECS Department, University of California, Berkeley, Tech. Rep. UCB/EECS-2012-214, Nov. 2012.
- M. Balazinska, A. Deshpande, M. Franklin, P. B. Gibbons, J. Gray, S. Nath, M. Hansen, M. Liebhold, A. Szalay, and V. Tao, "Data management in the Worldwide Sensor Web," IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 30-40, April 2007.
- B. T. Jonsson, M. Arinbjarnar, B. Thorsson, M. Franklin, and D. Srivastava, "Performance and overhead of semantic cache management," ACM Trans. Internet Technology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 302-331, Aug. 2006.
- D. T. Liu, G. M. Abdulla, M. Franklin, J. Garlick, and M. Miller, "Data-preservation in scientific workflow middleware," in Proc. 18th Intl. Conf. on Scientific and Statistical Database Management (SSDBM 2006), Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE Computer Society, 2006, pp. 49-48.
- S. R. Jeffery, G. Alonso, M. Franklin, W. Hong, and J. Widom, "Declarative support for sensor data cleaning," in Pervasive Computing: Proc. 4th Intl. Conf. (PERVASIVE 2006), K. P. Fishkin, B. Schiele, P. Nixon, and A. Quigley, Eds., Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 3968, Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 2006, pp. 83-100.
- P. Cudre-Mauroux, M. Fogel, K. Goldberg, and M. Franklin, ""Sentry pallets" for automated monitoring of spatial constraints: Models and initial experiments (Poster)," in Proc. 2006 IEEE Intl. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA '06), Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2006, pp. 4396-4398.
- M. Franklin, A. Y. Halevy, and D. Maier, "From databases to dataspaces: A new abstraction for information management," ACM SIGMOD Record, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 27-33, Dec. 2005.
- S. R. Madden, M. Franklin, J. M. Hellerstein, and W. Hong, "TinyDB: An acquisitional query processing system for sensor networks," ACM Trans. Database Systems: Special Issue: Best papers of SIGMOD/PODS 2003, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 122-173, March 2005.
- Y. Diao, M. Altinel, M. Franklin, H. Zhang, and P. Fischer, "Path sharing and predicate evaluation for high-performance XML filtering," ACM Trans. Database Systems, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 467-516, Dec. 2003.
- S. R. Madden, M. Franklin, J. M. Hellerstein, and W. Hong, "The design of an acquisitional query processor for sensor networks," in Proc. 2003 ACM SIGMOD Intl. Conf. on Management of Data, New York, NY: ACM Press, 2003, pp. 491-502.
- S. Chandrasekaran, O. S. Cooper, A. V. Deshpande, M. Franklin, J. M. Hellerstein, W. Hong, S. Krishnamurthy, S. Madden, V. Raman, F. R. Reiss, and M. A. Shah, "TelegraphCQ: Continuous dataflow processing for an uncertain world," in Proc. 1st Biennial Conf. on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR), 2003, pp. 12 pp..
- S. R. Madden, M. Franklin, J. M. Hellerstein, and W. Hong, "TAG: A Tiny AGgregation service for ad hoc sensor networks," in Proc. 5th Symp. on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI '02), Berkeley, CA: USENIX Association, 2002, pp. 131-146.
- M. Altinel and M. Franklin, "Efficient filtering of XML documents for selective dissemination of information," in Proc. 26th Intl. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB 2000), A. El Abbadi, M. L. Brodie, S. Chakravarthy, U. Dayal, N. Kamel, G. Schlageter, and K. Whang, Eds., San Francisco, CA: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc., 2000, pp. 53-64.
- S. Dar, M. Franklin, B. T. Jonsson, D. Srivastava, and M. Tan, "Semantic data caching and replacement," in Proc. 22nd Intl. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB '96), T. M. Vijayaraman, A. P. Buchmann, C. Mohan, and N. L. Sarda, Eds., San Francisco, CA: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc., 1996, pp. 330-341.
- M. J. Carey, D. J. DeWitt, M. Franklin, N. E. Hall, M. L. McAuliffe, J. F. Naughton, D. T. Schuh, M. H. Solomon, C. K. Tan, O. G. Tsatalos, S. J. White, and M. J. Zwilling, "Shoring up persistent applications," ACM SIGMOD Record, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 383-394, June 1994.