He received his B.S. in Mathematics from Caltech in 1975 and his Ph.D. in Computer Science from UC Berkeley in 1983. After spending six years on the faculty of the Courant Institute, New York University; he joined the Computer Science Division and Mathematics Departments at Berkeley in 1990, where he holds joint appointments.
Professor Demmel is an ACM Fellow, a SIAM Fellow, an IEEE Fellow, and a member of both the National Academy of Engineering and the National Academy of Science. He has also won the IEEE Computer Society Sydney Fernbach Award for "computational science leadership in creating adaptive, innovative, high performance linear algebra software."
- H. Choo, D. Garmire, R. S. Muller, and J. Demmel, "CMOS-compatible high-performance microscanners, including structures, high-yield simplified fabrication methods, and applications," U.S. Patent Application. Feb. 2007.
- E. Anderson, Z. Bai, C. Bischof, J. Demmel, J. Dongarra, J. Du Croz, A. Greenbaum, S. Hammarling, J. Langou, J. Langou, A. McKenney, S. Ostrouchov, and S. Sorenson, "LAPACK, Linear Algebra PACKage," 2006.
- S. Li, J. Demmel, and J. Gilbert, "SuperLU -- High Performance Sparse Gaussian Elimination," 2006.
- J. Demmel, J. R. Gilbert, and X. S. Li, "SuperLU Users' Guide," 2003.
- A. Agogino, D. Bindel, J. Clark, J. Demmel, S. Govindjee, M. Gu, Z. Bai, K. Pister, C. H. Séquin, N. Zhou, and J. Nie, "SUGAR -- Simulation tool for micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS)," 2002.
- J. Demmel, "The complexity of accurate floating point computation," in Proc. Intl. Congress of Mathematicians, T. Li, Ed., Vol. 3, Beijing, China: The Higher Education Press of China, 2002, pp. 697-706.
- J. V. Clark, D. Bindel, W. Kao, E. Zhu, A. Kuo, N. Zhou, J. Nie, J. Demmel, Z. Bai, S. Govindjee, K. Pister, M. Gu, and A. Agogino, "Addressing the needs of complex MEMS design," in Proc. 15th IEEE Intl. Conf. on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2002, pp. 204-209.
- E. Anderson, Z. Bai, C. Bischof, S. Blackford, J. Demmel, J. Dongarra, J. Du Croz, A. Greenbaum, S. Hammarling, A. McKenney, and D. Sorensen, "LAPACK Users' Guide (3rd. ed., 407 pp., ISBN:0-89871-447-8)," 1999.
- X. S. Li and J. Demmel, "Making sparse Gaussian elimination scalable by static pivoting," in Proc. of the 1998 ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conf., Washington, D.C.: IEEE Computer Society, 1998, pp. 19 pp..
- J. Demmel, Applied Numerical Linear Algebra, Philadelphia, PA: Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 1997.
- L. S. Blackford, J. Choi, A. Cleary, E. D'Azevedo, J. Demmel, I. Dhillon, J. Dongarra, S. Hammarling, G. Henry, A. Petitet, K. Stanley, D. Walker, and R. C. Whaley, "ScaLAPACK Users' Guide (325 pp., ISBN 0-89871-397-8)," 1997.
- J. Choi, I. Dhillon, J. Demmel, J. Dongarra, A. Petitet, S. Ostrouchov, K. Stanley, D. Walker, and C. Whaley, "ScaLAPACK, Scalable Linear Algebra Package," 1997.
- J. Demmel and W. M. Kahan, "Accurate singular values of bidiagonal matrices," SIAM Journal on Scientific and Statistical Computing, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 873-912, Sep. 1990.
- J. Demmel, "On condition numbers and the distance to the nearest ill-posed problem," Numerische Mathematik, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 251-289, May 1987.