Below the Line, Professor
He received a B.S. and M.S. in Electrical Engineering from the University at Southern California and Stanford University respectively, and a Ph.D. in Engineering and Public Policy from Carnegie Mellon University. His research focus is on economics-informed design of computer networks and distributed systems, including incentive mechanisms for peer-to-peer networks, service differentiation for web-caching and content distribution networks, and clean-slate architectural design of the next generation Internet.
- K. Hosanagar, J. Chuang, R. Krishnan, and M. Smith, "Service Adoption and Pricing of Content Delivery Network (CDN) Services," Management Science, 2008.
- J. Grossklags, N. Christin, and J. Chuang, "Security and Insurance Management in Networks with Heterogeneous Agents," in Proceedings of ACM E-Commerce Conference (EC'08), 2008.
- P. Laskowski, B. Johnson, and J. Chuang, "User-Directed Routing: From Theory, towards Practice," in Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on the Economics of Networks, Systems, and Computation (NetEcon 2008), 2008.
- J. Grossklags, N. Christin, and J. Chuang, "Secure or Insure? A Game-Theoretic Analysis of Information Security Games," in Proceedings of the 17th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW2008), 2008.
- M. Babaioff and J. Chuang, "On the Optimality and Interconnection of Valiant Load-Balancing Networks," in IEEE INFOCOM, 2007.
- P. Laskowski and J. Chuang, "Network monitors and contracting systems: Competition and innovation," Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM Conferece, Sep. 2006.
- A. Habib and J. Chuang, "Service differentiated peer selection: An incentive mechanism for peer-to-peer media streaming," IEEE Trans. Multimedia, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 610-621, June 2006.
- M. Feldman, C. Papadimitriou, J. Chuang, and I. Stoica, "Free-riding and whitewashing in peer-to-peer systems," IEEE J. Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1010-1019, May 2006.
- K. Hosanagar, R. Krishnan, J. Chuang, and V. Choudhary, "Pricing and resource allocation in caching services with multiple levels of quality of service," Management Science, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 1844-1859, Dec. 2005.
- J. Chuang, "In search of Homo Swappus: Evolution of cooperation in peer-to-peer systems," in Proc. 5th IEEE Intl. Conf. on Peer-to-Peer Computing: Use of Computers at the Edge of Networks, 2005, pp. 21 pp..
- M. Feldman and J. Chuang, "The evolution of cooperation under cheap pseudonyms," in Proc. 7th IEEE Intl. Conf. on E-Commerce Technology, Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE Computer Society Press, 2005, pp. 284-291.
- N. Christin, A. S. Weigend, and J. Chuang, "Content availability, pollution and poisoning in peer-to-peer file sharing networks," in Proc. 6th ACM Conf. on Electronic Commerce, New York, NY: ACM Press, 2005, pp. 68-77.
- M. Feldman, J. Chuang, I. Stoica, and S. Shenker, "Hidden-action in multi-hop routing," in Proc. 6th ACM Conf. on Electronic Commerce, New York, NY: ACM Press, 2005, pp. 117-126.
- N. Christin and J. Chuang, "A cost-based analysis of overlay routing geometries," in Proc. IEEE Infocom 2005, K. Makki and E. Knightly, Eds., Vol. 4, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2005, pp. 2566-2577.
- N. Cristin, J. Grossklags, and J. Chuang, "Near rationality and competitive equilibria in networked systems," in Proc. ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Practice and Theory of Incentives in Networked Systems, New York, NY: ACM Press, 2004, pp. 213-219.