- Microsystems and materials
- Nano-Optoelectronic devices
Prof. Chang-Hasnain's CV
She received her B.S. from UC Davis, 1982, M.S. and Ph.D. from UC Berkeley, 1984, and 1987 respectively. She was a Member of Technical Staff at Bellcore from 1987 to 1992. From April 1992 to December 1995, she was Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering at Stanford University. January 1996 she joined EECS at UC Berkeley. She is the director of CONSRT, a center of 10 professors across 6 universities with a research focus of nanostructured semiconductor optoelectronic materials and devices.
Professor Chang-Hasnain has co-authored over 400 research papers in technical journals and conferences. She also holds more than 30 patents. Professor Chang-Hasnain was named a Presidential Faculty Fellow, a National Young Investigator, a Packard Fellow, a Sloan Research Fellow, and Outstanding Young Electrical Engineer of the Year by Eta Kappa Nu. She received the 1994 IEEE LEOS Distinguished Lecturer Award, the 2000 Curtis W. McGraw Research Award from the American Society of Engineering Education, the 2003 IEEE William Streifer Scientific Achievement Award, and the 2005 Gilbreth Lecturer Award from National Academy of Engineering. In 2009, she was named a Guggenheim Fellow. Professor Chang-Hasnain is a Fellow of the IEEE, OSA and IEE, and an Associate Editor for the IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technologies. She has been elected an Honorary Member of A.F. Ioffe Institute in 2005.
- S. W. Chang, S. L. Chuang, C. Chang-Hasnain, and H. Wang, "Slow light using spin coherence and V-type electromagnetically induced transparency in  strained quantum wells," J. Optical Society of America B: Optical Physics, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 849-859, April 2007.
- M. C. Y. Huang, K. B. Cheng, Y. Zhou, A. Pisano, and C. Chang-Hasnain, "Monolithic integrated piezoelectric MEMS-tunable VCSEL," IEEE J. Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 374-380, March 2007.
- E. Wong, X. Zhao, C. Chang-Hasnain, W. Hofmann, and M. C. Amann, "Rayleigh backscattering and extinction ratio study of optically injection-locked 1.55 mu m VCSELs," Electronics Letters, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 182-183, Feb. 2007.
- L. C. Chuang, M. Moewe, C. Chase, N. P. Kobayashi, C. Chang-Hasnain, and S. Crankshaw, "Critical diameter for III-V nanowires grown on lattice-mismatched substrates," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 043115-1-3, Jan. 2007.
- C. Chang-Hasnain and S. L. Chuang, "Slow and fast light in semiconductor quantum-well and quantum-dot devices (Invited Paper)," IEEE/OSA J. Lightwave Technology: Special Issue on Optoelectronics, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 4642-4654, Dec. 2006.
- B. Pesala, C. Zhangyuan, A. V. Uskov, and C. Chang-Hasnain, "Experimental demonstration of slow and superluminal light in semiconductor optical amplifiers," Optics Express, vol. 14, no. 26, pp. 12968-12975, Dec. 2006.
- C. Chang-Hasnain, "Slow and fast light in semiconductors (Invited Paper)," in Proc. 2006 IEEE LEOS Annual Meeting (LEOS '06), Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2006, pp. 418-419.
- Y. Zhou, M. C. Y. Huang, and C. Chang-Hasnain, "Novel surface emitting laser using high-contrast subwavelength grating," in 2006 IEEE 20th Intl. Semiconductor Laser Conf. Digest, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2006, pp. 107-108.
- M. C. Y. Huang, Y. Zhou, and C. Chang-Hasnain, "Nanoscale high-contrast subwavelength grating integrated tunable surface emitting laser," in Proc. 2006 IEEE/LEOS Intl. Conf. on Optical MEMs and Their Applications, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2006, pp. 13-14.
- R. S. Tucker, P. Ku, and C. Chang-Hasnain, "Slow-light optical buffers: capabilities and fundamental limitations," J. Lightwave Technology, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 4046-4066, Dec. 2005.
- X. Zhao, P. Palinginis, B. Pesala, C. Chang-Hasnain, and P. Hemmer, "Tunable ultraslow light in vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser amplifier," Optics Express, vol. 13, no. 20, pp. 7899-7904, Oct. 2005.
- G. Piazza, K. Castelino, A. Pisano, and C. Chang-Hasnain, "Design of a monolithic piezoelectrically actuated microelectromechanical tunable vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser," Optics Letters, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 896-898, April 2005.
- C. F. R. Mateus, M. C. Y. Huang, Y. Deng, A. R. Neureuther, and C. Chang-Hasnain, "Ultrabroadband mirror using low-index cladded subwavelength grating," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 518-520, Feb. 2004.
- C. Chang-Hasnain, "Tunable VCSEL," IEEE J. Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 978-987, Nov. 2000.
- W. Yuen, G. S. Li, R. F. Nabiev, J. Boucart, P. Kner, R. J. Stone, D. Zhang, M. Beaudoin, T. Zheng, C. He, K. Yu, M. Jansen, D. P. Worland, and C. Chang-Hasnain, "High-performance 1.6-mu m single-epitaxy top-emitting VCSEL," Electronics Letters, vol. 36, no. 13, pp. 1121-1123, June 2000.
- E. C. Vail, M. S. Wu, G. S. Li, L. Eng, and C. Chang-Hasnain, "GaAs micromachined widely tunable Fabry-Perot filters," Electronics Letters, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 228-229, Feb. 1995.
- C. Chang-Hasnain, J. P. Harbison, C. Zah, M. W. Maeda, L. T. Florez, N. G. Stoffel, and T. Lee, "Multiple wavelength tunable surface-emitting laser arrays," IEEE J. Quantum Electronics, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1368-1376, June 1991.
- C. Chang-Hasnain, J. P. Harbison, G. Hasnain, A. C. Von Lehmen, L. T. Florez, and N. G. Stoffel, "Dynamic, polarization, and transverse mode characteristics of vertical cavity surface emitting lasers," IEEE J. Quantum Electronics, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1402-1409, June 1991.
- C. Chang-Hasnain, M. Orenstein, A. Von Lehmen, L. T. Florez, J. P. Harbison, and N. G. Stoffel, "Transverse mode characteristics of vertical cavity surface-emitting lasers," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 218-220, July 1990.
- C. Chang-Hasnain, A. Dienes, J. R. Whinnery, W. Streifer, and D. R. Scifres, "Characteristics of the off-centered apertured mirror external cavity laser array," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 484-486, Feb. 1989.