Thomas F. Budinger
Professor Emeritus, Professor in the Graduate School
He received his B.S. in chemistry at Regis College, 1954, a M.S. in Physical Oceanography, University of Washington, Seattle, 1957, a M.D. from the University of Colorado, Denver, 1964, and a Ph.D. in Medical Physics from UC Berkeley, 1971. He has received numerous honors and awards for his research contributions to nuclear medicine and imaging techniques and was elected as a member to the National Academy of Engineering in 1996. Dr. Budinger is also Professor & Chair of the Department of Bioengineering, Professor in Residence, University of California, San Francisco and Department Head, Department of Nuclear Medicine & Functional Imaging, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
- J. S. Huber, W. S. Choong, W. W. Moses, J. Qi, J. Hu, G. C. Wang, D. Wilson, S. Oh, R. H. Huesman, S. E. Derenzo, and T. F. Budinger, "Initial results of a positron tomograph for prostate imaging," IEEE Trans. Nuclear Science, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 2653-2659, Oct. 2006.
- T. F. Budinger and M. D. Budinger, Ethics of Emerging Technologies: Scientific Facts and Moral Challenges, Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2006.
- J. S. Maltz, T. S. C. Ng, D. J. Li, J. Wang, K. Wang, W. Bergeron, R. Martin, and T. F. Budinger, "The trauma patient tracking system: Implementing a wireless monitoring infrastructure for emergency response," in Proc. 2005 IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology 27th Annual Conf., Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2005, pp. 2441-2446.
- J. S. Maltz and T. F. Budinger, "Evaluation of arterial endothelial function using transit times of artificially induced pulses," Physiological Measurement, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 293-307, June 2005.
- J. Qi, J. S. Huber, R. H. Huesman, W. W. Moses, S. E. Derenzo, and T. F. Budinger, "Septa design for a prostate specific PET camera," IEEE Trans. Nuclear Science, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 107-113, Feb. 2005.
- C. A. Meriles, D. Sakellariou, A. Moule, M. Goldman, T. F. Budinger, and A. Pines, "High-resolution NMR of static samples by rotation of the magnetic field," J. Magnetic Resonance, vol. 169, no. 1, pp. 13-18, July 2004.
- T. F. Budinger, "Progenitor endothelial cell involvement in Alzheimer's disease," Neurological Research, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 617-624, Sep. 2003.
- T. F. Budinger, "Biomonitoring with wireless communications," in Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, M. L. Yarmush, K. R. Diller, and M. Toner, Eds., Vol. 5, Palo Alto, CA: Annual Reviews, 2003, pp. 383-412.
- A. Biegon, M. Alvarado, T. F. Budinger, R. Grossman, K. Hensley, M. S. West, Y. Kotake, M. Ono, and R. A. Floyd, "Region-selective effects of neuroinflammation and antioxidant treatment on peripheral benzodiazepine receptors and NMDA receptors in the rat brain," J. Neurochemistry, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 924-934, Aug. 2002.
- G. J. Klein, B. W. Reutter, E. H. Botvinick, T. F. Budinger, and R. H. Huesman, "Fine-scale motion detection using intrinsic list mode PET information," in Proc. IEEE Workshop on Mathematical Methods in Biomedical Image Analysis (MMBIA 2001), L. Staib, Ed., Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE Computer Society Press, 2001, pp. 71-78.
- J. S. Huber, S. E. Derenzo, J. Qi, W. W. Moses, H. Huesman, and T. F. Budinger, "Conceptual design of a compact positron tomograph for prostate imaging," IEEE Trans. Nuclear Science, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 1506, Aug. 2001.
- S. E. Taylor and T. F. Budinger, "Prospective on the Potential of Imaging Gene Expression," Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories, Tech. Rep. LBNL-44311, June 2000.
- P. T. Schoenemann, T. F. Budinger, V. M. Sarich, and W. S. Wang, "Brain size does not predict general cognitive ability within families," Proc. National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 9, pp. 4932-4937, April 2000.
- T. F. Budinger, "Functional biomedical imaging," The Bridge, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 19-25, April 2000.
- K. S. Bankiewicz, J. L. Eberling, M. Kohutnicka, W. Jagust, P. Pivirotto, J. Bringas, J. Cunningham, T. F. Budinger, and J. Harvey-White, "Convection-enhanced delivery of AAV vector in Parkinsonian monkeys; in vivo detection of gene expression and restoration of dopaminergic function using pro-drug approach," Experimental Neurology, vol. 164, no. 1, pp. 2-14, Jan. 2000.
- J. S. Maltz, B. W. Reutter, R. H. Huesman, and T. F. Budinger, "Direct kinetic parameter estimation from dynamic ECT sinogram using dimension-reduced time-activity basis," in 1999 IEEE Nuclear Science Symp. and Medical Imaging Conf. Conference Record, Vol. 3, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 1999, pp. 1272-1276.
- J. S. Maltz, E. Polak, and T. F. Budinger, "Multistart optimisation algorithm for joint spatial and kinetic parameter estimation in dynamic ECT," in 1998 IEEE Nuclear Science Symp. and Medical Imaging Conf. Conference Record, Vol. 3, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 1998, pp. 1567-1573.
- W. W. Moses, P. R. G. Virador, S. E. Derenzo, R. H. Huesman, and T. F. Budinger, "Design of a high-resolution, high-sensitivity PET camera for human brains and small animals," IEEE Trans. Nuclear Science, vol. 44, no. 4, pt. 1, pp. 1487-1491, Aug. 1997.
- J. P. Seab, W. J. Jagust, S. T. S. Wong, M. S. Roos, B. R. Reed, and T. F. Budinger, "Quantitative NMR measurements of hippocampal atrophy in Alzheimer's disease," Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 200-2008, Oct. 1988.
- H. L. Atkins, T. F. Budinger, E. Lebowitz, A. N. Ansari, M. W. Greene, R. G. Fairchild, and K. J. Ellis, "Thallium-201 for medical use. Part 3: Human distribution and physical imaging properties," J. Nuclear Medicine, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 133-140, Feb. 1977.