Thomas F. Budinger
Professor in Residence Emeritus
He received his B.S. in chemistry at Regis College, 1954, a M.S. in Physical Oceanography, University of Washington, Seattle, 1957, a M.D. from the University of Colorado, Denver, 1964, and a Ph.D. in Medical Physics from UC Berkeley, 1971. He has received numerous honors and awards for his research contributions to nuclear medicine and imaging techniques and was elected as a member to the National Academy of Engineering in 1996. Dr. Budinger is also Professor & Chair of the Department of Bioengineering, Professor in Residence, University of California, San Francisco and Department Head, Department of Nuclear Medicine & Functional Imaging, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
- T. F. Budinger and M. D. Budinger, Ethics of Emerging Technologies: Scientific Facts and Moral Challenges, Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2006.
- J. S. Maltz and T. F. Budinger, "Arterial endothelial function measurement method and apparatus," U.S. Patent Application. Feb. 2006.
- J. S. Maltz and T. F. Budinger, "Evaluation of arterial endothelial function using transit times of artificially induced pulses," Physiological Measurement, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 293-307, June 2005.
- A. Pines, T. Budinger, G. Navon, Y. Song, S. Appelt, A. Bifone, R. Taylor, B. Goodson, R. Seydoux, T. Room, and T. Pietrass, "Enhancement of NMR and MRI in the presence of hyperpolarized noble gases," U.S. Patent 6,818,202. Nov. 2004.
- C. A. Meriles, D. Sakellariou, A. Moule, M. Goldman, T. F. Budinger, and A. Pines, "High-resolution NMR of static samples by rotation of the magnetic field," J. Magnetic Resonance, vol. 169, no. 1, pp. 13-18, July 2004.
- T. F. Budinger, "Progenitor endothelial cell involvement in Alzheimer's disease," Neurological Research, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 617-624, Sep. 2003.
- T. F. Budinger, "Biomonitoring with wireless communications," in Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, M. L. Yarmush, K. R. Diller, and M. Toner, Eds., Vol. 5, Palo Alto, CA: Annual Reviews, 2003, pp. 383-412.
- A. Biegon, M. Alvarado, T. F. Budinger, R. Grossman, K. Hensley, M. S. West, Y. Kotake, M. Ono, and R. A. Floyd, "Region-selective effects of neuroinflammation and antioxidant treatment on peripheral benzodiazepine receptors and NMDA receptors in the rat brain," J. Neurochemistry, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 924-934, Aug. 2002.
- A. Pines, T. Budinger, G. Navon, Y. Song, S. Appelt, A. Bifone, R. Taylor, B. Goodson, R. Seydoux, T. Room, and T. Pietrass, "Enhancement of NMR and MRI in the presence of hyperpolarized noble gases," U.S. Patent 6,426,058. July 2002.
- J. S. Huber, S. E. Derenzo, J. Qi, W. W. Moses, H. Huesman, and T. F. Budinger, "Conceptual design of a compact positron tomograph for prostate imaging," IEEE Trans. Nuclear Science, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 1506, Aug. 2001.
- P. T. Schoenemann, T. F. Budinger, V. M. Sarich, and W. S. Wang, "Brain size does not predict general cognitive ability within families," Proc. National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 9, pp. 4932-4937, April 2000.
- K. S. Bankiewicz, J. L. Eberling, M. Kohutnicka, W. Jagust, P. Pivirotto, J. Bringas, J. Cunningham, T. F. Budinger, and J. Harvey-White, "Convection-enhanced delivery of AAV vector in Parkinsonian monkeys; in vivo detection of gene expression and restoration of dopaminergic function using pro-drug approach," Experimental Neurology, vol. 164, no. 1, pp. 2-14, Jan. 2000.
- J. S. Maltz, E. Polak, and T. F. Budinger, "Multistart optimisation algorithm for joint spatial and kinetic parameter estimation in dynamic ECT," in 1998 IEEE Nuclear Science Symp. and Medical Imaging Conf. Conference Record, Vol. 3, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 1998, pp. 1567-1573.