David T. Attwood
Professor in Residence
- Short wavelength electromagnetics; Soft X-ray microscopy; Coherence; EUV lithography
David Attwood received his Ph.D. in Applied Physics from New York University in 1972. He has been a Professor in Residence at UC Berkeley since 1989. He was co-founder of the Applied Science and Technology Ph.D. program and Chairs its Executive Committee. He has been faculty advisor for the undergraduate Engineering Physics program for 15 years. His research interests center on the use of short wavelength electromagnetic radiation, soft x-rays and extreme ultraviolet radiation in the 1-30nm range. Applications of particular interest include element specific soft x-ray microscopy and EUV lithography. He and his students are also active in the use of novel Fourier optics, image contrast techniques, and the development and use of coherent sources at these short wavelengths. At the contiguous Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, he was founding Director of the Center for X-Ray Optics (CXRO), and was first (1985-1988) Scientific Director of the Advanced Light Source (ALS). He is a Fellow Member of the American Physical Society and the Optical Society of America. He is author of
Soft X-Rays and Extreme Ultraviolet Radiation: Principles and Applications, (Cambridge University Press, 2000). His lectures are regularly broadcast live over the Internet and electronically archived, such as at
- F. Brizuela, I. D. Howlett, S. Carbajo, D. Peterson, A. Sakdinawat, Y. Liu, D. T. Attwood, M. C. Marconi, J. J. Rocca, and C. S. Menoni, "Invited Paper: Imaging at the Nanoscale With Practical Table-Top EUV Laser-Based Full-Field Microscopes," Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, IEEE Journal of, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 434 -442, Jan. 2012.
- I. A. Vartanyants, A. Singer, A. P. Mancuso, O. M. Yefanov, A. Sakdinawat, Y. Liu, E. Bang, G. J. Williams, G. Cadenazzi, B. Abbey, H. Sinn, D. T. Attwood, K. A. Nugent, E. Weckert, T. Wang, D. Zhu, B. Wu, C. Graves, A. Scherz, J. J. Turner, W. F. Schlotter, M. Messerschmidt, J. Luning, Y. Acremann, P. Heimann, D. C. Mancini, V. Joshi, J. Krzywinski, R. Soufli, M. Fernandez-Perea, S. Hau-Riege, A. G. Peele, Y. Feng, O. Krupin, S. Moeller, and W. Wurth, "Coherence Properties of Individual Femtosecond Pulses of an X-Ray Free-Electron Laser," Phys. Rev. Lett., vol. 107, no. 144801, Sep. 2011.
- A. Sakdinawat and D. T. Attwood, "Invited Paper: Nanoscale X-ray Imaging," Nature Photonics, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 840–848, Dec. 2010.
- D. T. Attwood, "Nanotomography comes of age," Nature, vol. 442, pp. 642-643, Aug. 2006.
- C. Chang, A. Sakdinawat, P. Fischer, E. Anderson, and D. T. Attwood, "Single-element objective lens for soft x-ray differential interference contrast microscopy," Optics Letters, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1564-, May 2006.
- P. Fischer, D. Kim, W. Chao, J. A. Liddle, E. H. Anderson, and D. T. Attwood, "Soft X-ray microscopy of nanomagnetism," Materials Today, vol. 9, no. 1-2, pp. 26-33, Jan. 2006.
- W. Chao, B. D. Harteneck, J. A. Liddle, E. H. Anderson, and D. T. Attwood, "Soft X-ray microscopy at a spatial resolution better than 15 nm," Nature, vol. 435, pp. 1210-1213, June 2005.
- K. M. Rosfjord, Y. Liu, and D. T. Attwood, "Tunable coherent soft X-rays," IEEE J. Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 1405-1413, Nov. 2004.
- R. A. Bartels, A. Paul, H. Green, H. C. Kapteyn, M. M. Murnane, S. Backus, I. P. Christov, Y. Liu, D. T. Attwood, and C. Jacobsen, "Generation of spatially coherent light at extreme ultraviolet wavelengths," Science, vol. 297, no. 5580, pp. 376-378, July 2002.
- Y. Liu, M. Seminario, F. G. Tomasel, C. Chang, J. J. Rocca, and D. T. Attwood, "Achievement of essentially full spatial coherence in a high-average-power soft-x-ray laser," Physical Review A, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 033802-1-5, March 2001.
- W. Meyer-Ilse, T. Warwick, and D. T. Attwood, Eds., X-Ray Microscopy: Proceedings of the VI International Conference, AIP Conference Proceedings, Melville, NY: AIP Press, 2000.
- D. T. Attwood, Soft X-Rays and Extreme Ultraviolet Radiation: Principles and Applications, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- D. T. Attwood, P. Naulleau, K. A. Goldberg, E. Tejnil, C. Chang, R. Beguiristain, P. Batson, J. Bokor, E. M. Gullikson, M. Koike, H. Medecki, and J. H. Underwood, "Invited Paper: Tunable coherent radiation in the soft X-ray and extreme ultraviolet spectral regions," IEEE J. Quantum Electronics, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 709-720, May 1999.
- D. T. Attwood, E. H. Anderson, P. J. Batson, H. R. Beguiristain, J. Bokor, K. A. Goldberg, E. M. Gullikson, K. H. Jackson, K. Nguyen, M. Koike, H. Medecki, S. Mrowka, R. E. Tackaberry, E. Tejnil, and J. H. Underwood, "At-wavelength metrologies for extreme ultraviolet lithography (in Japanese)," J. Future Electron Devices, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 5-14, Nov. 1998.
- F. Zernike and D. T. Attwood, Eds., OSA Proceedings on Extreme Ultraviolet Lithography: Proceedings of the Topical Meeting, OSA Proceedings, Vol. 23, Washington, D.C.: Optical Society of America, 1995.
- D. T. Attwood, "New opportunities at soft-x-ray wavelengths," Physics Today, vol. 45, no. 8, pt. 1, pp. 24-31, Aug. 1992.
- D. T. Attwood and J. Bokor, Eds., Short Wavelength Coherent Radiation: Generation and Applications, American Institute of Physics Conference Proceedings; Optical Science and Engineering Series (No. 7), New York, NY: AIP Press, 1986.
- D. T. Attwood, K. Halbach, and K. Kim, "Tunable coherent X-rays," Science, vol. 228, no. 4705, pp. 1265-1272, June 1985.
- J. Underwood and D. T. Attwood, "The renaissance of x-ray optics," Physics Today, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 44-61, April 1984.
- D. T. Attwood and B. L. Henke, Eds., Low Energy X-ray Diagnostics, American Institute of Physics Conference Proceedings, New York, NY: AIP Press, 1981.