Fire Extinguisher Instructions
A note from Prof. Carlo Sequin:
- On the floorplan near the exit stairs locate the symbols for the fire extinguishers.
- Go to that spot in the corridor, look for an unobtrusive chrome panel at hip level (no - nothing bright red, as you might expect, and no - it is NOT the white metal panel at eye level).
- Read the fine red hard-to-read print (if it is there at all):
B P R U E L A L K T G O L A O S P S E N
Break Glass Pull To Open.
- Push the glass panel inward by about 3/4 of an inch (it is held in place by two whimpy metal clamps).
- With your fingers reach inside the metal panel near the lock, and give it a medium-strong yank to open the panel. (There is a little plastic part that keeps the panel closed).
Please don't go and actually yank open the panels; the plastic latch is not designed for frequent use !
I will try to get some nice red decals, say a red "F" in a circle, and more readable, easier-to-understand (horizontal) instructions:
PUSH IN GLASS
YANK DOOR OPEN
If you are called on to use your extinguisher to fight a fire, just think of the word PASS:
- Pull the safety pin at the top of the extinguisher.
- Aim the nozzle, horn, or hose at the base of the flames.
- Squeeze or press the handle.
- Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire until it goes out.