EE 130/230M. Integrated-Circuit Devices
Current Schedule (Spring 2013)
- EE 130: Tsu-Jae King Liu, TuTh 11:00-12:30P, 247 Cory [course homepage]
- EE 230M: Tsu-Jae King Liu, TuTh 11:00-12:30P, 247 Cory
Catalog Description: (4 units) Overview of electronic properties of semiconductors. Metal-semiconductor contacts, pn junctions, bipolar transistors, and MOS field-effect transistors. Properties that are significant to device operation for integrated circuits. Silicon device fabrication technology. The students will learn semiconductor electronic properties and apply them to develop a sound understanding of the devices of integrated circuits. The course is designed to provide the electronic device knowledge to students who may pursue IC design, semiconductor fabrication, or research and development of electronic devices, MEMS, or optoelectronics. Special emphasis is given to MOS devices, which is by far the dominant device in integrated circuits. After a treatment of the physics of the MOS capacitors, the on-state and off-state behaviors of the MOSFETs are covered in details and the scaling limitations and emerging technologies are introduced.
Prerequisites: EECS 40 or EE 100.
Course objectives: This course provides a comprehensive introduction to the electronic properties of semiconductors, technology, the theories and practices of the most important electronic devices, and their impacts on the performance of integrated circuits. Lectures and homework exercises and design project emphasize the ability to formulate problems, problem solving skills and make device design tradeoffs.
- Semiconductor electronics: Band picture, electrons, holes, effective mass, doping, density of states, electron statistics, Fermi level, mobility, diffusion, recombination, continuity equations
- Fabrication technologies: Introduction to lithography, doping, deposition and planarization technologies.
- PN Junction: Field, potential, charge distribution in step pn junctions, current-voltage relations, generation and recombination current, junction capacitance
- MOS Capacitors: Energy-band diagrams, flat-band, accumulation, depletion, inversion, threshold voltage, capacitance-voltage characteristics
- MOSFETs: Current-voltage characteristics, velocity saturation, CMOS speed and power, MOS technology, leakage current, Vt roll-off and drain-induced barrier lowering, scaling limits, alternative technologies, computer simulations
- Metal-Semiconductor Contact: Schottky diode, current-voltage characteristics, ohmic contacts
- Bipolar Transistors: Structure and operation, emitter efficiency, current gain, static characteristics, charge-control model, cut-off frequency